• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tech Talk 5/22/2014: The Engine That Drives The Elio

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio_TechTalk_Header5ee076.jpg
We live in a world of instant gratification. Rushing to find absolutes where they often don’t exist. And, when anxiously awaiting the arrival of something necessary, needed and game changing, like the Elio, we often forget that things most valuable to our existence take time.

Elio Motors continues to forge ahead with major developments. As noted on the timeline in the Elio Motors Tech Talk v4, (click here) one such development is the prototype kick-off for the engine block and cylinder head.

Elio Motors 3-Cylinder Block Program

IAV Automotive Engineering (click here), the power-train design and development engineering consultancy for Elio Motors, intends to produce engines using a high-pressure die casting process. To achieve this, IAV, together with Grainger & Worral (click here), will use their skilled expertise to design the prototyping process to replicate the design process for mass production.

Step 1: This process begins with the receipt of data from IAV. Best practices of manufacturing will be discussed to achieve the desired program timing and budget. While designing the tooling, IAV’s CAD model is checked for thin wall areas using specialized software. This activity is included in the design for manufacturability activities along with foundry processes including the addition of contraction, adding draft, removing undercuts and adding extra machining stock.

Step 2: As part of tooling, the gating and feeding system is to be designed for the casting. The introduction of the liquid metal into the mold cavity ultimately determines the integrity of the material and hence the functional life of a casting. The feeding system is used to ensure the last liquid metal to solidify is outside the net shape of the desired casting. Depending on the material properties required, chills can be used to enhance the properties of certain areas of the casting. For the 3-cylinder block this will be the cylinder bores and the bolt bosses.
a929c027-6a11-4ae6-89d5-00be13cdf95c.jpg

First prototype Elio Motors 3-cylinder block raw casting
A few sample parts are poured and left until solid for the initial casting validation. After this process, the castings are knocked-out and the gating and feeding systems are removed. The castings are dressed with joint lines and any flash is removed. Castings are then heat treated and finally shot blast to clean and improve the appearance.

Step 3: The purpose of this final step of the process is to validate the material integrity and dimensional accuracy of the part. Using a CT scanner, 1 mm image slices are manipulated by a software program into a digital 3D model. This model is then overlaid to IAV’s machine CAD model and reviewed by a metrology engineer. Any deviation from the IAV model is highlighted and reviewed by the project team. This information is then relayed back to IAV via an inspection report.

During the development process, small modifications had to be made for the water jacket and the clamping feature locations for final machining. These were all common items needing detail during the design for manufacturing process.

What’s Next?
As you can see, the first prototype Elio Motors 3–cylinder block has been cast and is in the process of being shipped to IAV in Northville, MI. The next steps will be to take the raw casting and machine all of the specific Elio features.

Using companies like IAV and Grainger & Worral provide leading word-class design for manufacturing processes and features to ensure prototype parts will perform as designed. Stay tuned for an update on the Elio cylinder head in an upcoming Tech Talk.

10886541-bed9-4e36-836c-35daa61392aa.jpg

First prototype Elio Motors 3-cylinder block raw casting -top view

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember we actually had a little preview of these photos as they leaked out over a month ago and were on the boards here for a few days before it was requested we take them down as they were not supposed to be public yet. I believe the photos themselves were labeled as having been taken in late February so I am sure this motor has by now long since been assembled and entered testing.

One big piece of information I noticed in this Tech Talk is we now know who is doing the casting, Grainger & Worral. Last week it was confirmed that engine assembly would be handled by Elio Motors in Shreveport however it was doubtful they would set up their own foundry so now we have another missing piece in this puzzle.

Last edited:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some of you may remember we actually had a little preview of these photos as they leaked out over a month ago and were on the boards here for a few days before it was requested we take them down as they were not supposed to be public yet. I believe the photos themselves were labeled as having been taken in late February so I am sure this motor has by now long since been assembled and entered testing.

One big piece of information I noticed in this Tech Talk is we now know who is doing the casting, Grainger & Worral. Last week it was confirmed that engine assembly would be handled by Elio Motors in Shreveport however it was doubtful they would set up their own foundry so now we have another missing piece in this puzzle.

I remember seeing the pictures before. Its still good to see public post about this. So I would assume unmachined blocks would be sent to the Elio plant for cylinder lining and machining. It would be nice too see the engine running on the engine stand idling and going through the rev range.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I remember seeing these as 4 small prints one of which I was able to expand so I asked how to expand the others. I was told they were not to be released yet. I was relieved because I thought I was doing something wrong. And then they were gone. Sigh! Nice to have all this additional information even if I don't understand it at all. As long as you understand it, I'm OK. LOL :-) Z

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now the BIG question; since these BLOCKS still require machining, plasma spray lining, inspection, assembly (hopefully with parts already ON-HAND), and then 'testing'...... when will they be 'installation ready' for the P5 or "E" series...... JUNE or OCTOBER?

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"We live in a world of instant gratification. Rushing to find absolutes where they often don’t exist. And, when anxiously awaiting the arrival of something necessary, needed and game changing, like the Elio, we often forget that things most valuable to our existence take time."

Snipped from the first part of the article. Patience is a virtue, and there are those of us who haven't enough(myself included).

Just hoping things start coming together soon, is all.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
"We live in a world of instant gratification. Rushing to find absolutes where they often don’t exist. And, when anxiously awaiting the arrival of something necessary, needed and game changing, like the Elio, we often forget that things most valuable to our existence take time."

Snipped from the first part of the article. Patience is a virtue, and there are those of us who haven't enough(myself included).

Just hoping things start coming together soon, is all.

Yep, that first paragraph applies to many folks that post on the Elio marketing FB posts: "just shut up and build it already!" they say. Society today is all about instant gratification... I deserve it WHEN I want it, which is of course... NOW.

In short, that first paragraph is well-worded and excellent. Just my two cents, worth about 1.3 cents.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you may already have read this article however for those of you who have not and would like to read a little bit more about IAV this is a good general article with some information about their test facilities and even mentions Elio Motors.

http://wardsauto.com/north-america/rapid-growth-drives-iav-us

Top Bottom