• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Back Seat...

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was wondering about the back seat.

Dimensions ?
Sight lines ?
Accessories like power outlet or cup holder ?

Is there space to lean and nap upright ?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I did sit in the back seat of the P4, but we have information that the P5 will have a few more inches of head room. Not sure about the P5, but the production model is supposed to have more padding.

I believe dimensions can be found on the spec sheet on www.eliomotors.com. Click on Features, then look for Download Elio Specs PDF.

I'm guessing visibility will be relatively limited. I haven't heard much about accessories for the back seat.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I did sit in the back seat of the P4, but we have information that the P5 will have a few more inches of head room. Not sure about the P5, but the production model is supposed to have more padding.

I believe dimensions can be found on the spec sheet on www.eliomotors.com. Click on Features, then look for Download Elio Specs PDF.

I'm guessing visibility will be relatively limited. I haven't heard much about accessories for the back seat.
I think most people are going to be the only ones in the Elio so the backseat hasn't been a real big focus point.
If you want outlets you're probably going to have to add them yourself.
I would think a camera/screen periscope set up would be trick for the back seat.
Have a ceiling mount monitor that you could flip down; that action would turn on the camera; put a little T handle that would also swing down that would "aim" which way you want to see. Go a step further and make the camera mounted on a telescopic mount that you could see over whatever is blocking a view. That could be pretty trick, but I don't think it would be a widely installed option; maybe 1 in 100? Or 1 in a 1,000 would want it.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think most people are going to be the only ones in the Elio so the backseat hasn't been a real big focus point.
If you want outlets you're probably going to have to add them yourself.
I would think a camera/screen periscope set up would be trick for the back seat.
Have a ceiling mount monitor that you could flip down; that action would turn on the camera; put a little T handle that would also swing down that would "aim" which way you want to see. Go a step further and make the camera mounted on a telescopic mount that you could see over whatever is blocking a view. That could be pretty trick, but I don't think it would be a widely installed option; maybe 1 in 100? Or 1 in a 1,000 would want it.

car-periscope-curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david.png

01403.jpg

It would have to have cross hairs, maybe in your case, Coss hairs..

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although my Elio would be a primary commuter, I've had a couple ideas for the care and comfort of my backseater for daytrips and weekend tours:

I'm planning to purchase a travel case for my old portable DVD player . . .
m001579124_sc7?$splssku$.jpg

Slung from the headrest of the driver's seat, and with a nice selection of discs it should provide my movie-fan wife with hours of entertainment. OK, it's not as elegant as the TV player and Mark Levinson sound system in our old Lexus, but she can entertain herself for hours this way. I only need to make occasional stops for popcorn.

BTW, if you're considering downloading videos from the web by tethering it to your smartphone, don't . . . well, unless you own stock in Verizon, AT&T, etc. If you haven't tried this, fair warning - you can run through your 10G data plan in a couple of hours of tethering. Mobile sites don't consume much data, but those designed for your computer are real data pigs. If you're not careful, downloading a movie or two while tethered can make you a major shareholder. Use your WiFi connection do handle your downloads while tethered. Hotels, many cafes and restaurants, and even public libraries offer free WiFi, so do all your data-intensive work there rather than on the road. If you're using a DVD player, use services like Redbox on the road. Rent a movie in one place, return in another town down the road and pick out another. Use your Redbox app to find and reserve your choices.

As an alternative, a laptop for your "Goose" can let her plan the route via a full-suite GPS program and Bluetooth antenna like that offered by DeLorme. I began using these tools long before there were dedicated GPS devices and learned to appreciate the research that can be done as you plan your route on the fly. Not only will this keep your S/O occupied for hours, it will offer amazing alternative adventures for your daytrip or two-week tour.

The recent changes to the P5 appear to have made the rear windows a good deal larger - much nicer for your RIO, although I'd want a light 35% tint on the sides. It doesn't darken the view much, but is a real blessing on a sunny day. One must-have for my claustrophobic wife, swing-out van-type rear windows. They're a good idea for quick air exchange in the cabin too, especially when you've parked for a few hours in the sun.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although my Elio would be a primary commuter, I've had a couple ideas for the care and comfort of my backseater for daytrips and weekend tours:

I'm planning to purchase a travel case for my old portable DVD player . . .
m001579124_sc7?$splssku$.jpg

Slung from the headrest of the driver's seat, and with a nice selection of discs it should provide my movie-fan wife with hours of entertainment. OK, it's not as elegant as the TV player and Mark Levinson sound system in our old Lexus, but she can entertain herself for hours this way. I only need to make occasional stops for popcorn.

BTW, if you're considering downloading videos from the web by tethering it to your smartphone, don't . . . well, unless you own stock in Verizon, AT&T, etc. If you haven't tried this, fair warning - you can run through your 10G data plan in a couple of hours of tethering. Mobile sites don't consume much data, but those designed for your computer are real data pigs. If you're not careful, downloading a movie or two while tethered can make you a major shareholder. Use your WiFi connection do handle your downloads while tethered. Hotels, many cafes and restaurants, and even public libraries offer free WiFi, so do all your data-intensive work there rather than on the road. If you're using a DVD player, use services like Redbox on the road. Rent a movie in one place, return in another town down the road and pick out another. Use your Redbox app to find and reserve your choices.

As an alternative, a laptop for your "Goose" can let her plan the route via a full-suite GPS program and Bluetooth antenna like that offered by DeLorme. I began using these tools long before there were dedicated GPS devices and learned to appreciate the research that can be done as you plan your route on the fly. Not only will this keep your S/O occupied for hours, it will offer amazing alternative adventures for your daytrip or two-week tour.

The recent changes to the P5 appear to have made the rear windows a good deal larger - much nicer for your RIO, although I'd want a light 35% tint on the sides. It doesn't darken the view much, but is a real blessing on a sunny day. One must-have for my claustrophobic wife, swing-out van-type rear windows. They're a good idea for quick air exchange in the cabin too, especially when you've parked for a few hours in the sun.
Since the Elio can be optioned out with forward, rear, and 360 degree cameras, I wonder if it'll take long for the aftermarket to offer a headrest video monitor that will let your rear seat passenger pick which view they want to see... That'd be pretty cool, I think.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the Elio can be optioned out with forward, rear, and 360 degree cameras, I wonder if it'll take long for the aftermarket to offer a headrest video monitor that will let your rear seat passenger pick which view they want to see... That'd be pretty cool, I think.
You mean like these for $100.00 Headrest Monitors

Top Bottom