• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "dale"

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
220px-1975_Revelle_by_Twentieth_Century_Motor_Car_Corp._%2810209858586%29.jpg

It does look nice. It is similar to other three wheel cars at Three Wheelers. It is a shame went under.

mike171

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've read some people doubt the Elio will ever happen because of similarities with the Dale. So I did some research. Turns out the only real similarity is they both have (had) three wheels. Dale was a scam from the beginning.
Yes sir, the Dale was never meant to be produced. It was nothing more than a marketing scheme cashing in on the 70's gas crisis. There is plenty of supporting evidence to this available on the web.

Devilstower

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The story of the Dale features in the first season of the Netflix series "The White Rabbit Project"

The Dale is introduced as a three-wheel vehicle that ...
Gets high mileage (70 mpg)
Has good handling
Matches regular cars for safety
Costs less to build and buy ($2000 in 1975 dollars)

The Dale was to be built at an industrial site in Burbank, where the company leased an old factory. They collected thousands of pre-orders and millions from investors. But nine months later the factory was still empty and regulators caught up with the woman at the front of the scam.

They actually built three Dales—making them with fiberglass bodies over wood frames. Two were just shells, suitable for putting on a stand at auto shows. One was drivable, but it's not clear what was used for an engine.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The story of the Dale features in the first season of the Netflix series "The White Rabbit Project"

The Dale is introduced as a three-wheel vehicle that ...
Gets high mileage (70 mpg)
Has good handling
Matches regular cars for safety
Costs less to build and buy ($2000 in 1975 dollars)

The Dale was to be built at an industrial site in Burbank, where the company leased an old factory. They collected thousands of pre-orders and millions from investors. But nine months later the factory was still empty and regulators caught up with the woman at the front of the scam.

They actually built three Dales—making them with fiberglass bodies over wood frames. Two were just shells, suitable for putting on a stand at auto shows. One was drivable, but it's not clear what was used for an engine.

I saw that show on the White Rabbit Project. It was an episode on scams. I found the whole show to be very informative. A museum has the one vehicle. The owner indicates that the one that 'worked' had front wheels with a 'mind of their own'.
Twentieth Century Dale.
Dale_04_1000.jpg

Top Bottom