• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio And The Deer

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in a area that is heavily populated with deer. I really don't want and will take extra care not ,to hit any, but that being said , wonder how the Elio will take meeting a deer. I don't think even with a 5 star rating will help. Hopefully the deer will decide to jump over. I just think in my case I will have to limit my speed till I get outta the woods.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will likely handle deer as-well or better than a traditional car. Consider it's narrower frontal area which means less to hit a deer with. What frontal area there is has the same profile as a car, so a deer hit would be just like in a car, I think. I don't see any need to behave any differently in an Elio than I do in a regular little car due to deer.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will likely handle deer as-well or better than a traditional car. Consider it's narrower frontal area which means less to hit a deer with. What frontal area there is has the same profile as a car, so a deer hit would be just like in a car, I think. I don't see any need to behave any differently in an Elio than I do in a regular little car due to deer.
Except you could hit a dear with the front/side of a car and it will break lights and some dents, all which can be fixed. I'm not so sure how these outrigger wheels would handle a deer hit. And the repair cost...
Then again, it may be better. Rip off the wheel and all the bent up stuff. Replace it with new stuff, and you're on your way. No body work.
Deer and other varmints and obstructions in the road, including cattle, are my biggest fear with this vehicle.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
It's about driver attitude and aptitude. Yes, even if you are constantly watching for deer, and you do all you can to miss one, you can still be unfortunate and hit one.

"An estimated 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, costing more than $4 billion in vehicle damage, according to State Farm, the nation’s leading auto insurer.

Deer migration and mating season generally runs from October through December, and causes a dramatic increase in the movement of the deer population. As a result, more deer-vehicle collisions occur in this period than at any other time of year, so drivers need to be especially vigilant."

Be careful out there! :)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same here, we're lousy with the antlered varmints (but man, they make good sausage!:)). I'm picturing a full-on T-bone contact (the Elio t-boning a deer) with one of the critters. If you catch him/her flat-footed, the suspension will swipe the legs out from underneath it, and put it's torso square into the windshield...super bad in a regular vehicle (car, not so much trucks), but I imagine that the close spaced front A-pillars will protect the driver from having an uninvited guest enter the vehicle. Could be wrong, and there's no telling which way the deer will be standing, running, jumping, laying (already roadkill), so when it happens, and it will, I'm hoping whomever is the unlucky victim comes out unscathed, and able to relate his/her experience to the rest of us with a nervous smile.:confused:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's about driver attitude and aptitude. Yes, even if you are constantly watching for deer, and you do all you can to miss one, you can still be unfortunate and hit one.

"An estimated 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, costing more than $4 billion in vehicle damage, according to State Farm, the nation’s leading auto insurer.

Deer migration and mating season generally runs from October through December, and causes a dramatic increase in the movement of the deer population. As a result, more deer-vehicle collisions occur in this period than at any other time of year, so drivers need to be especially vigilant."

Be careful out there! :)
Man, I hope I don't do 4 billion dollars damage to my Elio. That would ruin my whole weekend...

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wisconsin not only has a lot of Deer, we have Big ones. Car kills are just part of life here. I think the ELIO may fair well the shape will likely deflect the deer after a strike. I have had experience with hitting Deer at 60 MPH. Aug31 2 years ago.
Broke fame in two place and my body in a few more.
deerhunt19800x600.jpg

Top Bottom