• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Floyd

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Is there any info on the automatic transmission?

I test drove a Smart Car a few years ago that has a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Smart CVT is totally unacceptable because it produces a pronounced 'lurch' when it shifts. I actually felt a bit motion sick from just a short test drive.

Pleeeeeease tell me the Elio will avoid that ?!?!

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As the owner of two smart cars, no smarts have CVT transmissions. They have manual transmissions with an automatic clutch. My Jeep Patriot does have a CVT transmission which Jeep inherited after their temporary merger with Mercedes. The CVT behaves no differently than other automatic transmissions, possibly better.

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio indicated to me that a double clutch type automatic is proposed, similar to the type used in exotic cars and F1 racers. This is not to be confused with a CVT. It has gears, but automatically preselects for potential up or down shifts, having the odd numbered gears on one shaft with its own clutch and the even numbered on another with another clutch. Shifting occurs when the clutches shift engagement (very quickly) and the engine rev-matches.

jrm_cr_fl

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately my wife doesn't drive stick and refuses to learn, which is a good thing because she doesn't drive my 6-speed Veloster. I will have to opt for the auto on the Elio to keep peace in the house. I see that P4 has an auto in it, but it still does not have the IAV engine. I'm sure the auto came with the donor engine. We'll have to wait for the first P4 clone I guess.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have a 2013 Sentra with CVT (constant velocity trans.) and works very well. However would rather have a 5 or 6 speed auto trans in the ELIO. The CVT in a 3 wheeler reminds me of the centrifical clutches in an old Cushman scooter and am past that! As for this donor engine (Metro Geo) and its built in trans----why are they still using this set up? Where is the IAV engine? Why not install one now and see where the mileage estimates will be instead of guessing ? RB

Top Bottom