• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Empire Strikes Back

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I met with Representative Golden today. While our meeting was good, he did express that the state is very nervous about liability for the state, if they create an autocycle statute and people are hurt, the state is also dragging their heals with amending the current motorcycle statute to exempt children under 15 from wearing helmets in an Elio and about exempting drivers from having to have a MC license. Of course Rep. Golden loved it when I said if that's the path the state wants to take then they better hope I never have to stop short in the Elio with my son in the vehicle with his helmet on because I would certainly sue the BMV for knowingly creating a risk of head and neck injury for the public specifically children in an Elio.

Anyway, our game plan is right now to submit a placeholder bill (see attached) and actually draft two versions of statute we'd like and see 1) create a new autocycle statute or 2) amend the existing motorcycle rule to exempt the helmet for children and MC license, but only select which one to actually submit as the final bill until after the Transportation Committee meets with BMV to see which way their wind is blowing.

So I've already sent an e-mail to Joel S. and hopefully he'll have some feedback to keep moving this along. Any thoughts? Fellow Mainer's, now is the time to make some calls to your local legislators to support Rep. Golden, and call Maine BMV and let them know what you think!

maine1.jpg
maine2.jpg

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I met with Representative Golden today. While our meeting was good, he did express that the state is very nervous about liability for the state, if they create an autocycle statute and people are hurt, the state is also dragging their heals with amending the current motorcycle statute to exempt children under 15 from wearing helmets in an Elio and about exempting drivers from having to have a MC license. Of course Rep. Golden loved it when I said if that's the path the state wants to take then they better hope I never have to stop short in the Elio with my son in the vehicle with his helmet on because I would certainly sue the BMV for knowingly creating a risk of head and neck injury for the public specifically children in an Elio.

Anyway, our game plan is right now to submit a placeholder bill (see attached) and actually draft two versions of statute we'd like and see 1) create a new autocycle statute or 2) amend the existing motorcycle rule to exempt the helmet for children and MC license, but only select which one to actually submit as the final bill until after the Transportation Committee meets with BMV to see which way their wind is blowing.

So I've already sent an e-mail to Joel S. and hopefully he'll have some feedback to keep moving this along. Any thoughts? Fellow Mainer's, now is the time to make some calls to your local legislators to support Rep. Golden, and call Maine BMV and let them know what you think!

I wish you good luck ! Joel should have already or will come up with a great plan. I spoke with him in great detail here in Nebraska last weekend and am very impressed! I have all the faith in the world that Joel is the best man for this job and he will do his best to get all states to accept the Elio in a way that best suits all concerned parties. The man is very knowledgable in his field and is putting everything he has into this project

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I met with Representative Golden today. While our meeting was good, he did express that the state is very nervous about liability for the state, if they create an autocycle statute and people are hurt,

OK, I'm lost at the logic behind that statement .... what liability does the state have with already having a Motorcycle category that wouldn't be less with an Autocycle like the Elio

Top Bottom