• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The H. O. Engine We Need For The Elio And Its A Ford...

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
dells_09__095.jpg

If this can be shoe horned into a Fiero it would be pretty pathetic if some one couldn't fit that into an Elio and double the HP with out significantly affecting MPG

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I will have to find the thread however I am certain we have discussed this article before. Several things to take notice of. This engine is much more complex, read expensive, than the Elio engine. The mileage in this article is UK imperial MPG so 70 Imperial MPG converted would be about 58 US MPG. Also the European tests cycles are well known for giving higher highway MPG ratings than the US EPA numbers meaning if this car were tested to EPA regs it would likely be rated under 50 MPG which is a good rating but not nearly as impressive as the 70 MPG UK number which you see before you understand how the numbers play out.

Remember the goal of the Elio vehicle is not to produce the most fuel efficient car possible but to produce a very fuel efficient vehicle for a very low price which is a balancing act. There are plenty of engines out there with plenty of well proven technology which could provide more power and/or more fuel efficiency however they would raise the cost of the Elio which is one of the major selling points of this vehicle.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will have to find the thread however I am certain we have discussed this article before. Several things to take notice of. This engine is much more complex, read expensive, than the Elio engine. The mileage in this article is UK imperial MPG so 70 Imperial MPG converted would be about 58 US MPG. Also the European tests cycles are well known for giving higher highway MPG ratings than the US EPA numbers meaning if this car were tested to EPA regs it would likely be rated under 50 MPG which is a good rating but not nearly as impressive as the 70 MPG UK number which you see before you understand how the numbers play out.
Yep #$%^ communist numbers, but the Elio weighs significantly less than a Mondeo which should easily push you back to the 84 red white & blue MPG mark if you don't have a heavy foot and utilize the extra 50HP. (Yea right)

I know it's not the cheep way to go but speed is never cheep. I can pretty much promise any one who pushes the stock engine to 75HP will have something that could hand grenade at any moment.

There will be other more durable solutions, many will add significant weight calling for major suspension mods and/or reduced drive ability and safety. Most will also never again see your Elio getting 84MPG. A potentially significant handicap since there is not room for anything more than the stock 8 Gal fuel tank.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: Remember the goal of the Elio vehicle is not to produce the most fuel efficient car possible but to produce a very fuel efficient vehicle for a very low price which is a balancing act. There are plenty of engines out there with plenty of well proven technology which could provide more power and/or more fuel efficiency however they would raise the cost of the Elio which is one of the major selling points of this vehicle.

Doing a hypothetical: Let's say the the typical cost of an engine is 10% of the base price. Given a fiesta base of 17K the 3 cyl ecoboost
would be @ $1,700. The Elio/IAV 3 cyl would be @ $680 p/unit. So Ty plug in real #s & see what we really have? But back to the guess.
The ecoboost is 2.5 times more expensive has about 2.5 times the HP & over 2.5 times the TQ. So $ for dollar there is a relationship here.
There will be,No doubt, lots of ELio conversions forthcoming but the base model is still a lot of bang for the buck.................. :)

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
snipped: There will be other more durable solutions, many will add significant weight calling for major suspension mods and/or reduced drive ability and safety. Most will also never again see your Elio getting 84MPG. A potentially significant handicap since there is not room for anything more than the stock 8 Gal fuel tank.

Yup, there go those darned compromises again...............modeling software can only do so much.......... :D

barry

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive an eight cylinder F150 for my company and in order to get some sense of what 0 to 60 in just over 9 sec feels like, gunned it...upshot,0 60 in 9+is more than adaquit.
Hey, on a related subject. It has been years since I drove a stick. Is it still an "H"patern?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drive an eight cylinder F150 for my company and in order to get some sense of what 0 to 60 in just over 9 sec feels like, gunned it...upshot,0 60 in 9+is more than adaquit.
Hey, on a related subject. It has been years since I drove a stick. Is it still an "H"patern?
Barry, welcome to the forum which has the latest information, rumors, opinions, helpful friendly people, and hours of entertainment. Enjoy the Elio experience

Top Bottom