• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Latest: "let's Talk Elio" Vids...

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Oh noes! Teh stardup iz gettin moar det da moar it duz az id getz closur 2 produkshun! Oh noes!

That will happen in exactly that way, whether Elio is about to die bleeding in the moonlight or is about to burst forth with tremendous success. The final push will cost more, whether it succeeds or not. In itself, it is no portender whatsoever, no promise, no sign. It's exactly what to expect no matter what endgame might be anticipated.

Also:
"Gee, would it take much time or money to abandon the entire powertrain and develop a new electric system from scratch? Would it be easy to shoehorn that into the existing design [as opposed to necessitating a serious rework of the platform to better accommodate service life as an obligate EV]?"
Yes, Joeker, that would be quite expensive and introduce further and significant delay, as well as indicate to any and all financiers a profound lack of engineering project management and well understood business case at this stage. Besides that, the business case is reliant upon a low price point- that is tied inextricably to their targeted customer base and their proposed consumer finance models. A change to an EV platform with at least double the unit price makes that plan untenable. It wouldn't merely be some minor change to the vehicle, but a substantial platform redesign (if done properly and not cobbled) and a need for new, as-yet-uncourted suppliers and integration work, as well as necessitate a serious reevaluation of the base sales and marketing plans.

If your goal is not further delay, increased cost, and an even greater likelihood of business failure, then you really need to abandon this recurrent fantasy of yours that the Elio will be an EV platform anywhere near launch, if ever.

Last edited:

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey. It's OK to fantasize. After all, isn't that what we've been doing for years now?
I'm the sort of nerd that enjoys calculating the minimum bounds of power output for anime characters who can blow up the moon, and then starting arguments with other nerds about which one is the strongest. If you posit a whimsical wondering that violates the continuity of a fictional universe, I'm that guy that gets upset and cites an episode number to tell you why you're wrong, and that you should feel bad and go play in someone else's yard from now on. ;)

Proposing to retool the Elio as an EV after complaining about delays and increasing cost estimates in the very same video is contradictory at best, counterproductive at worst, and it provokes a similar sort of reaction from geeks of my persuasion. Fish swim, swallows fly, tigers eat meat and I tell people why they're always wrong. It's just what we do.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh noes! Teh stardup iz gettin moar det the moar it duz az id getz closur to produkshun! Oh noes!

That will happen in exactly that way, whether Elio is about to die bleeding in the moonlight or is about to burst forth with tremendous success. The final push will cost more, whether it succeeds or not. In itself, it is no portender whatsoever, no promise, no sign. It's exactly what to expect no matter what endgame might be anticipated.

Also:
"Gee, would it take much time or money to abandon the entire powertrain and develop a new electric system from scratch? Would it be easy to shoehorn that into the existing design [as opposed to necessitating a serious rework of the platform to better accommodate service life as an obligate EV]?"
Yes, Joeker, that would be quite expensive and introduce further and significant delay, as well as indicate to any and all financiers a profound lack of engineering project management and well understood business case at this stage. Besides that, the business case is reliant upon a low price point- that is tied inextricably to their targeted customer base and their proposed consumer finance models. A change to an EV platform with at least double the unit price makes that plan untenable. It wouldn't merely be some minor change to the vehicle, but a substantial platform redesign (if done properly and not cobbled) and a need for new, as-yet-uncourted suppliers and integration work, as well as necessitate a serious reevaluation of the base sales and marketing plans.

If your goal is not further delay, increased cost, and an even greater likelihood of business failure, then you really need to abandon this recurrent fantasy of yours that the Elio will be an EV platform anywhere near launch, if ever.
You are a realist and I like that ! Gas and high mpg , The sporty look, The low price, just a few of the reasons I am staying with Elio to the end if need be!

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You are a realist and I like that ! Gas and high mpg , The sporty look, The low price, just a few of the reasons I am staying with Elio to the end if need be!
It could look like a potato and get about 60% the targeted mileage and I'd still be interested, though my reasons might weigh in different proportionality then. Just have to keep unit price at a realistic configuration down under $10K...

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Under $10,000. Is my hope too.
Less a matter of hope, and more a strong suspicion that with any higher typical sale price, the vehicle will no longer compete meaningfully in its intended market. You'll instead be looking at a one-off, with sales numbers akin to imported Utes or Kei cars or something like that. Guaranteed to tank the company, just in a different way than the risks associated with the current plans.

There are a number of compacts and subcompacts from established manufacturers that can be had at the end of a model year for $9K to $12K pretty readily, and they and their dealer networks could easily push Elio out of the market they've expressed an interest in almost immediately, even assuming an existing foothold for EM, if the trike gets up around $9K starting, fuel efficiency and aesthetic novelty notwithstanding. They won't sell well at that sort of a price point.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Less a matter of hope, and more a strong suspicion that with any higher typical sale price, the vehicle will no longer compete meaningfully in its intended market. You'll instead be looking at a one-off, with sales numbers akin to imported Utes or Kei cars or something like that. Guaranteed to tank the company, just in a different way than the risks associated with the current plans.

There are a number of compacts and subcompacts from established manufacturers that can be had at the end of a model year for $9K to $12K pretty readily, and they and their dealer networks could easily push Elio out of the market they've expressed an interest in almost immediately, even assuming an existing foothold for EM, if the trike gets up around $9K starting, fuel efficiency and aesthetic novelty notwithstanding. They won't sell well at that sort of a price point.
Sorry, but I don't Agee. Sorry

Top Bottom