• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Sports Car Guys

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio is a very good interview. Very articulate. Comes across to me as being very smart, comfortable in his own skin, nice dresser, always positive, when a question is not a very good question he does not brush it off as such, the camera seems to love him. I see this as a very good plus to making this thing go as favorable publicity is very important now.

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The problem with the current prototype is that it is nowhere near as attractive as the prior prototypes with the
open fenders and polished wheels and one tone paint job. Paul is making a big mistake by allowing everyone
to mistakenly assume that the prototype he is displaying (which I assume is the "standard $6800" non-optioned version)
is the only way the car will look. I'm certain that those ugly fenders are only there because 1) they eliminate the
need for costlier polished wheels and most importantly, 2) they allow the car to achieve his 84 MPG claim.
Looks mean a LOT, even for cars that are targetting economy, just like A/C. Paul should bring two vehicles with
him - the standard and the open wheeled optioned. He is writing off a huge market segment and killing demand
the way he is going about it.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with the current prototype is that it is nowhere near as attractive as the prior prototypes with the
open fenders and polished wheels and one tone paint job. Paul is making a big mistake by allowing everyone
to mistakenly assume that the prototype he is displaying (which I assume is the "standard $6800" non-optioned version)
is the only way the car will look. I'm certain that those ugly fenders are only there because 1) they eliminate the
need for costlier polished wheels and most importantly, 2) they allow the car to achieve his 84 MPG claim.
Looks mean a LOT, even for cars that are targetting economy, just like A/C. Paul should bring two vehicles with
him - the standard and the open wheeled optioned. He is writing off a huge market segment and killing demand
the way he is going about it.

What is attractive or unattractive is very personal and highly subjective. While we have many people on here who agree with you and prefer the appearance of the P3 we also have many others who prefer the P4 design. Knowing that design preferences vary heavily from one person to the next it makes sense to me to concentrate on displaying a model which actually meets the stated goals and big selling points of 84 MPG for $6800.

Another thing to keep in mind is that only those of us who are heavily involved and following this drama closely are really aware of the different prototypes and what they have looked liked. The vast majority of new people being exposed to the vehicle now are seeing the P4 and by the time this reaches production and is advertised to the public at large the open wheeled P3 will be a distant memory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom