• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Threads Being Moved

Did you get a new thread mereged into an old existing thread?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ElioDigger

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is the rule on posting. Any one else ( or is it just me) that gets every thread I post merged into one I have no Idea where it is after the little alert goes away?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kind of hard to find it when that happens, but most topics have been, at the very least, touched on. Moderaters here tend to merge new threads on old topics into the old thread.
Lately they've relaxed this tendency a bit, but it can make following specific topics difficult.
Perhaps, when the "old" thread has grown a bit long in the tooth, it'd not be a bad idea to start a new on, titled the same as the old one, only with a number after it??
"Threads being moved 2", for example.
Or, "Thread being moved redeaux".
Start the new thread with a link to the old one, if anyone wants to catch up on the topic!
:eek::D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kind of hard to find it when that happens, but most topics have been, at the very least, touched on. Moderaters here tend to merge new threads on old topics into the old thread.
Lately they've relaxed this tendency a bit, but it can make following specific topics difficult.
Perhaps, when the "old" thread has grown a bit long in the tooth, it'd not be a bad idea to start a new on, titled the same as the old one, only with a number after it??
"Threads being moved 2", for example.
Or, "Thread being moved redeaux".
Start the new thread with a link to the old one, if anyone wants to catch up on the topic!
:eek::D
Good idea... we could start with the gas cap thread...

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For what it's worth ElioDigger, I've started threads here, had them moved, and never found them again. o_O

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://elioowners.com/threads/good-forum-manners.2953/

Maybe if this topic keeps coming up, the message will be heard. Merging threads is a significant disservice to readers and a waste of the admins time and effort. Threads have a life of their own and must be allowed to end on their own, its the natural way. People post about something they cannot find information on, in the current top available threads, even after using the search function. If their new post gets buried in some other thread, and the threads become hundreds/thousands of posts/pages long, no one goes there. Then new threads are posted and the admins merge them. Its a vicious cycle that inevitably becomes too cumbersome to maintain and too frustrating for anyone to use.

Please accept this as commentary, informed opinion only based on many years of experience on other car forums, not whining. I will accept whatever those in control decide to do and be thankful for a place like this, whatever form it takes.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
To the other mods, for the aging threads concerned...
1) should we adopt a yearly policy? i.e. don't merge threads created in 2015 into 2014 threads, then in 2016 stop merging threads into ones created in 2015?
2) Should we adopt a thread locking policy for prior year threads with useful threads moved into a reference board?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the bottleneck imo is folks coming to the site, and/ or haven't been "keeping up" with developments/comments/suggestions/opinions.
Sticking around a month will more than get you up to speed, combine that with the search and you're there!!
As previously stated, I endorse just let 'em fade away (which is basically what's happening) with the thousands of posts about the gas cap and engine- first timers will know in minutes the "blabber" about 'em, when, since day one the gas cap location and the current development of the engine have been predetermined.
And of course the spammers who like "stirring the pot"(lol)

Top Bottom