• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Title And Registration

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I recently sent an email to Elio Motors. I am posting the question and reply. I live in California but I suspect it will be the same in all states. I also suspect this has been covered before. If not:

QUESTION:
Who will take care of obtaining title and registration for my Elio? Normally this is done for the purchaser by the dealership, whether it is a car or motorcycle.
I talked to someone who purchased a Tesla and they said Tesla took complete care of these. They received their title in the mail and the temporary registration accompanied the car.
Will Elio do the same, or will I be given a certificate of origin and have to go to DMV myself and arrange title and registration.

ANSWER:
We will take care of obtaining title and registration for your Elio, so no worries!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if that includes those of us that will be picking up our Elio at the factory
Since everyone getting the first year's vehicles will have had to be processed on line, it only makes sense for that to also include those who pick their Elio up at the factory. If not, they will let us know and provide us with the paper work before we leave to get it so we can go to our local DMV and take care of it. I'm sure this is one of the things Joel Sheltrown, VP of Governmental Affairs, will be taking care of as we move forward. :-) Z

I apologize if I have misspelled Joel's last name.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be great if Elio did the paper work but I don't look for that to happen. They are going to have their hands full of hundreds of people wanting to pick up their Elio each day. Give them the paperwork to get to their home town and let them do the T&R in their home town.
Anyway they would have to hire more people to handle the T&R only causing more cost to Elio and that ups the price.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure they'll have this one worked out. I'm just trying to figure out how to get a vanity license plate with enough letters on a motorcycle plate body. My current plate below:

Attachments

• NT DED YT plate websize.jpg
    NT DED YT plate websize.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 244

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All Elio Motors is required to do for paperwork is provide you the bill of sale, title, and Dealer Plates when you pay for your Elio. If you have a pre-approved loan your lender will be the first lien holder on the title. Enjoy your drive home. I believe you have 30 days to pay your applicable state sales taxes and licensing fees from the date of sale. That's been my experience when purchasing new vehicles.

If you are using Elio Credit......that paperwork is EM's responsibility as the seller/lender prior to the pickup or delivery of your Elio.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All Elio Motors is required to do for paperwork is provide you the bill of sale, title, and Dealer Plates when you pay for your Elio. If you have a pre-approved loan your lender will be the first lien holder on the title. Enjoy your drive home. I believe you have 30 days to pay your applicable state sales taxes and licensing fees from the date of sale. That's been my experience when purchasing new vehicles.

If you are using Elio Credit......that paperwork is EM's responsibility as the seller/lender prior to the pickup or delivery of your Elio.
The Elio is a new vehicle from a new company and as such has a few more requirements than one from current companies. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think there will be more requirements to purchase an Elio than any other motorcycle. Should be a staright forward purchase. Unless I'm missing something.
I believe most, if not all states, will require verification that, in fact, the Elio and Elio Motors are legitimate in the USA. It will only be because it is a new vehicle from a new company not because of the vehicle itself. I first heard of it from one of our members who will be registering his in Alaska. The Alaskan DMV requires another document or two and I have since read it in other DMV information. I simply don't remember what it is called. I will see if I can find the information for you. :-) Z

Top Bottom