1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Traction Control Kill Switch?

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by Ghastly, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Ghastly

Ghastly Elio Fan

It may be too early yet to ask, but do you folks who are more in the know know whether the Elio is likely to have a switch that permits disabling the traction control feature when desired by the driver?

I know that the inclusion of ESC is required for cars now - but all of mine that have had it also had a switch to disable it. What I don't know is if the switch to disable the feature is also mandated since I've never seen a car with the feature without the ability to disable it.

And since the Elio isn't legally a car (yet) ... I'm not sure how reliable what I've seen in the past is as a guide to begin with.

TIA!

2. RUCRAYZE

RUCRAYZE Elio Addict

Welcome from The PNW
    The Seahawks headed your way for the weekend!

3. Sephord

Sephord Elio Fan

I dont think gen1 elios will have a traction disable mode and probably wont have that option at all with cars essentially having 2 options standard or automatic transmission.

I bet if ther is plenty of people making elios into autocross cars or track cars then maybe they will think about it.

4. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You might what to hold back on that answer, EM has said something about a sport mode, and economy mode.
    Just because it has both manual and stick doesn't make a difference.
    It was brought up a couple of weeks ago; I think it is worth doing a search on the forum to find the answer; you'll find our search function on the home page of the site.

wizard of ahs likes this.
  5. Sephord

Sephord Elio Fan

Hmmm. i wonder if the sport and eco is a reference to the cam design with it being a variable lift design like hondas vtec.

I am definitely all for a happy little traction button. i live near a SCCA location like within earshot.

6. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I believe it will be more of the ESC change; change the timing, and fuel injection rate, shift points etc.; I don't think it will activate any changes in the motor. As for the traction control switch, I think it's required any time a vehicle has traction control. In my Magnum, I couldn't make it into my garage once when it was icy out; my driveway is a little up hill and once the tires would spin when I was easing it in, the traction control would kick in; no throttle response (it disabled it) you could floor it, and it would not do anything. So it was stop, turn off Traction Control, and drive into garage.
    So with "side affects" like that, you could be in a bad situation and not be able to get out of it unless you are able to turn it off.

Lynn D and Bert like this.
  7. Ghastly

Ghastly Elio Fan

Thanks everyone. I'll look forward to the likelihood that traction control will be able to be switched off on demand.

To be clear, it's not the electronic stability control that I care about having the ability to turn off. I have no desire to attempt to drift around a track or otherwise push the envelope in the Elio such that ESC would interfere with my intent.

It's traction control I find to be intrusive, unsettling, and in the worst case scenario (which happens not infrequently during the winter months here) dangerous to the point of potentially fatal - and not under excessively aggressive driving conditions at all but simply under conditions that are normal during commuting to work many weeks of the year here.

That I do want the ability to disable.

<S>

Kuda likes this.
  8. aahz

aahz Elio Addict

Howdy from Arizona Ghastly. All my cars that had traction control also had a button to turn it off, so I'd think it will have one to.

9. electroken

electroken Elio Addict

Only my wife's car is new enough to have electronically augmented traction control. It does have an "off" switch, which is good or she would never get up our driveway. More slip = less power = stuck mid-driveway. Ramming speed gets it to the top.

10. Ian442

Ian442 Elio Addict

Just had to be done. :D

aahz and electroken like this.