• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two Out Of Three Americans Say They Will Not Buy A Self Driving Car

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two Out Of Three Americans Say They Won't Buy A Self-Driving Car...

Forbes magazine

ZF-Dashboard-1200x804.jpg
ZF-Dashboard-1200x804.jpg

Self-driving cars – or autonomous vehicles, as the industry prefers to call them – are coming. But that doesn’t mean people are planning to rush out to buy them. According to a new Reuters poll, two-thirds of those who responded to the poll said they wouldn’t buy a fully autonomous vehicle. Another 63% percent said they wouldn’t pay more for a car equipped with a self-driving feature, such as Tesla’s Autopilot. Forty-one percent wouldn’t pay more than $2,000 for it. Tesla’s Autopilot costs at least $5,000 to activate.

The main problem is that very few people have ridden in or even seen a self-driving vehicle in action. Their fear of the unknown factors heavily in their disapproval. Once more of the vehicles are on the road, experts think the public will accept them.

“People are comfortable with things they know,” investor Chris Thomas, co-founder of Fontinalis Partners and Detroit Mobility Lab, told Reuters. “When everybody understands the game-changing attributes of automated vehicles, how they can give you back all that time to read or work or sleep, they will start to ask about the value of that recaptured time.”

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry man. I had to break ranks recently.

The free GPS is nice and the $79 Android with all the bells and whistles and no contract was cheaper than a Garmin.
I had a Garmin GPS back in the early 90's I used it for hiking. Then a few years later i got a Magellan and I bought and adapter and had to solder on an RS-232 plug then attach it to my laptop. From there it had some mapping software and if you set the whole rig up in your car (which a multitude of adapters and something to set a 20lb laptop on), you could use it for NAV. It took like 10 minutes for the GPS to get a lock.

For today, I'm amazed. Only places I have found a modern doesn't work well (talking about outside) at all was in Venice Italy. All of those old buildings which at times are probably no more than 3ft apart, it loses signal. If there's anywhere you need a GPS, it's that place.

I use the fingerprint recognition on my iphone and Apple Pay. Best thing I have ever seen on an iPhone. Plus it works like a champ in Europe.

Top Bottom