• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Undercarriage Body Pan

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking at shots of the Elio taken from down low and it appears to have a traditional undercarriage. I then researched if my idea of making the bottom aerodynamic as well would help towards the 84mpg goal. What I found is that undercarriage body pans typically result in a 13% to 20% increase in efficiency at highway speeds.

Does anyone know if in fact the Elio does or does not incorporate this idea? If not, could someone suggest it on the Facebook site for me? (I refuse to have a Facebook account)

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been looking at shots of the Elio taken from down low and it appears to have a traditional undercarriage. I then researched if my idea of making the bottom aerodynamic as well would help towards the 84mpg goal. What I found is that undercarriage body pans typically result in a 13% to 20% increase in efficiency at highway speeds.

Does anyone know if in fact the Elio does or does not incorporate this idea? If not, could someone suggest it on the Facebook site for me? (I refuse to have a Facebook account)
I expect that an aerodynamic belly pan is included in the computer simulations. There's not much point in going to all the effort and expense on a prototype because even small changes in length, width or potential trailer hitch attach points would require rework.

Top Bottom