• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

USA Today posting nonstop negative articles

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the things I would like to see the EV's change for cars... but I'm not 100% optimistic, and EV's haven't accommodated this so far, well not by preference.

The ICE drive-train is age limited to mileage on that engine. And it is not cheap to replace. Maintenance hikes up as they get older. Even more, you can't normally expect to upgrade to any new tech, even the EPA rules make that difficult. But ICE tech always changes, as well as the space required to support it, so you are always replacing the whole car. It is a very specific fit matched to the car.

Now with EV's, it's the pack that is the most limiting. And unlike an engine, the pack dimensions do not have to conform to the most recent format.
And until your electrical or electronics goes bad, maintenance is extremely low over time.

If you could replace a $1,500 pack every 3 to 10 years instead of a $31,500 car, let's say twice, saving on average $60k in 21 years. That saves society in the US every year, $2,857 per driver, (200m drivers) or $571,400,000,000 in total, every year. Right to the pocket that deserves it the most. Usually, right when you need it the most.

It is possible, as EV's become the norm, there could be a robust after-market just for that purpose. If nothing else, there might be refurbishers that buy and upgrade EV battery packs for the used car market. Unlike ICE driven cars, these will still be relevant hardware for one, two or three cycles of the packs.
And if it becomes a collector car, maybe more.

Currently, This is actually one way to keep your classic vehicle relevant. Porsche 911's, 914's and 356's do this all the time. Even 928's.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We actually have two.

My wife's Leaf is a 2012 with about 58k miles and a severely degraded battery. It only gets 45 miles of range on a good day. It's sufficient for her daily needs for now, but we plan on replacing it with a Lightning F-150 next year.

My daily commuter is a 2013 with 80,500 miles, and a remarkably healthy battery that still gets about 75 miles. It works fine for now, but it's 8 years old and ain't getting younger. By the time an Elio-E gets made, I might be ready to replace my commuter with something more fun.

I have 3 x EVs right now, have had 5 in total, no battery degradation at all. 2016 at 120,000kms, 2019 at 130,000kms (my daily workshop car now), and 2021 at 20,000kms.

I have seen some Leafs merely have one or two dead cells, people have replaced just the dead cells for small cost, and the batteries are fine again, you might want to investigate that, there are videos on Youtube about it.

My view on the Elio from what I posted is simple, the 'Gas Elio' Depositors paid for a lot of the development and marketing to this point in time, 60,000+ of them, they are owed a gas Elio, not an EV, unless they are asked, and a large majority respond in the positive, and they haven't been asked.

It's simply wrong.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio depositors paid for a condo in Arizona for Paul and some cash to make it rain on Friday nights. The only thing “developed” was Pauls imagination and wallet.
And where is your proof? Or is just made up facts? Other then that, I suggest you keep comments as you made to yourself. Is that clear?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, a couple days ago I drove past that location for the ElectraMechanica Arizona 'factory', as shown on google-maps. Most of the rental areas are very small as far as common automotive factory space is concerned. Bex had a number of photos of his shop spaces that are lot bigger. When I worked for Boeing I measured buildings in 10ths-of-a-mile increments. This was very much the opposite. But bigger than x-car garage-space.

In any case I saw nothing that said activity in progress and no exterior signs either. (Unless I got something wrong from Google) There are a lot of buildings there, all brand new going up fast.

The economy explosion 'post covid' is very apparent around there. The Williams field near there has been very under utilized up to now. Than may change. And this industrial district is SE of ASU and between Phoenix Airport and Williams Field.

Can you imagine that the movie 'Raising Arizona' was supposed to be located NW of there, nearer to Phoenix?

Not so very long ago, it looked like this...
1636435168317.png

Now....
1636435265536.png

-----------------------------------------
Filming locations for Raising Arizona:
Phoenix, AZ., Tempe, AZ., Florence, AZ.,
Apache Junction, AZ., Scottsdale, AZ., Superior, AZ., Mesa, AZ., Carefree, AZ.
-----------------------------------------

The Solo test drive continues here....

Last edited:

Rabrandt99

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so this is only really interesting to me, but I finally managed to read the only article on the USA Today expose that wasn't on Yahoo Finance... specifically, the one that mentioned Patrick Byrne and Eliocoin.

Not a lot of new information in it, with the main takeaways being that Gino Raffin (Elio's Manufacturing Chief, before the furlough) and Patrick Byrne stand by Paul Elio, believing he's genuine in his attempts to get the Elio off of the ground and that despite claims, both feel it wasn't a scam.

In Patrick's case, he makes it a point to say he feels Paul is a classic entrepreneur, who just never was able to get the amount of money he needed when he needed it and stating he stills cheers for Elio to succeed.

And Eliocoin?

It's heavily implied that Patrick was the driving force behind that, being both behind Overstock and tZero, and when he left both companies, so did any interest in the coin from any interested party... leaving the Pre-Sale a bust.

So if anyone wants to read it, the way I got past the subscription was using a website called 12ft Ladder... aka https://12ft.io

You put the url you want to bypass and it does so.

So if you want to read the article for yourself, just copy/paste the article url (in this case, https://www.usatoday.com/restricted...-three-wheeled-car-paul-elio-saga/8346948002/) and poof, you've got it.

Top Bottom