• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waiting On Engine Progress

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm finding it a little unbearable, JUST a little, waiting on the engine being readied. Even though I totally understand at a technical level what's involved. At the VRI (Vehicle Research Institute) we used to build adaptations to Subaru and Mazda rotary engines, Exhausts, Porting, Intake manifolds, head/cams-redesign, foundry, fabrication, flow benching the results, dyno testing. Since I also have manufacturing experiences in automation I totally get what EM is trying to do right now. They are doing both an engine and a complete production process for it at the same time. The final goal being to final test an engine that has been created though the engineered process. Only after success will they say anything about how it's went, i.e. 'works perfectly', masking out all the quandary in the middle. This kind of industrial R&D is very much in Paul's area of expertise, so I know they are very competent at it.
Anyway, automotive-wise, I was in basic research at a university. My real-world hands-on was only in manufacturing computer systems in Aerospace, not automotive. Does anyone in our group have understanding of the kinds of things EM is doing now, assuming they are doing an 'Agile' design-build process at EM? I'm not just interested in the Engine engineering, but the processes, fabrication, logistics and management too.
Hearing about any of that will be very soothing to my gear-head-techy soul. I'll even take conjecture and 'guestimating'. In detail please! :-)

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
waiting.jpg

You are correct that IAV has to develop and follow a production process to produce the prototype engine. They are also likely developing the emissions control systems and engine control systems as well.

Top Bottom