• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Watch Those Pontoons

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it will take much time to sort of recalibrate your situational awareness to a three-wheel, center driver orientation. I know when I first started driving our COE motorhome, I kept edging to the left, not realizing that the sightline through the center of the windshield was about six inches from the right curb. I spent the first ten miles feeling like I was an elephant walking a tightrope. It took only about a half hour before I was wheeling comfortably through city streets in traffic.

On long trips with my parents I'd drive my little Opel in trail, acting as their tail gunner to block traffic so dad could change lanes with the bus in heavy traffic. That big slipstream also cleared fog, snow, and errant drivers from my path - but it wasn't much help in heavy rain where I got into the rooster tail of spray as the big box smashed its way through the storm to the tune of 7-8 mpg.

When we'd change drivers every hour or so, it was quite a transition to go from a 2,800 lb car to a 16,000 pound truck, but your perspective changes quickly and within a mile or so I'd fully adapted.

Last edited:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And make more dead stuff. The squirrels around here have gotten pretty good at playing dodge the tires, but I'm sure they aren't going to expect that rear tire in the center!
A local cat centered up a Suburban a couple blocks from my house last week. I don't understand how he wasn't squashed, but northbound with a rather large dog on his heels, the orange tabby lept the ditch and shot across the road, directly under the 'burb that was traveling east. Had it been an Elio, that would have been a very flat cat.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't see the rear tire, oops.
cat-4.jpg
:eek::(

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't see the rear tire, oops.
View attachment 1224 :eek::(

That Is hilarious!
This conversation reminds me...I once saw a rat come out of the tall grass and start to cross the road. As he made it to the center line, my car caused him to change direction, heading back the way came. It actually looked like he was trying to "hide" under the passenger side tire of the oncoming 4x4. Well, when that tire hit him, he shot a turd all the way across my lane!

Top Bottom