• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Did Roush Engineering Tell Elio Motors...

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It’s no secret that Roush engineering was hired to attempt to integrate an unspecified new engine into one of the existing Elio prototypes...

So what was the outcome...

Let’s speculate for a moment...

1) Maybe there never was an outcome because Elio ran out of money to funded Roush’s R&D work...

2) Maybe Roush determined that Elio’s chassis would not accommodate the new engine without major revisions...

3) Maybe Roush determine the newly specified engine was not a good match for achieving Elio’s gas mileage goals...

4) Maybe Roush determine that the existing transmission was not compatible with the new engine...

5) Maybe Roush determined producing the Elio with the newly proposed engine would result in costs that would greatly increase the price of the Elio vehicle...

6) Maybe Roush concluded the Elio vehicle as designed would never meet Paul’s Price and performance specifications...

I promise you it’s one of the above scenarios...

Last edited:

TexazTezla

Reaction score
It’s no secret that Roush engineering was hired to attempt to integrate an unspecified new engine into one of the existing Elio prototypes...

So what was the outcome...

Let’s speculate for a moment...

1) Maybe there never was an outcome because Elio ran out of money to funded Roush’s R&D work...

2) Maybe Roush determined that Elio’s chassis would not accommodate the new engine without major revisions...

3) Maybe Roush determine the newly specified engine was not a good match for achieving Elio’s gas mileage goals...

4) Maybe Roush determine that the existing transmission was not compatible with the new engine...

5) Maybe Roush determined producing the Elio with the newly proposed engine would result in costs that would greatly increase the price of the Elio vehicle...

6) Maybe Roush concluded the Elio vehicle as designed would never meet Paul’s Price and performance specifications...

I promise you it’s one of the above scenarios...

Elon, is that you?
How can you promise it’s one of your speculations?
Perhaps there was a positive outcome or a different problematic outcome you haven’t speculated about.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My wild ass guess is that Paul can't find funding for an ICE powered Elio so they are going electric.
It's a nice thought isn't it?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You guys need a history lesson. Roush has been with Elio since March 2016.
https://www.eliomotors.com/press-release-elio-motors-adds-world-renowned-roush-as-lead-engineering-partner-on-blue-chip-auto-supplier-team/
If you remember, no mention of a unibody and steel body until May 2016.
https://www.eliomotors.com/first-e-series-vehicles-taking-shape-at-pilot-center-elio-momentum/
The way I see it is this. Roush just did what everyone has been telling them to do for years. Use a Unibody and an off the shelf engine. it just took Elio 2.5 years of acting on Roush's advice to finally give in and go with an off the shelf engine.

What I do not understand, is the fascination with Roush. Why so much talk about this company. What about Continental? They are way bigger and a major supplier to just about everyone. Is it because we know the Roush name from NHRA, IMSA and Trans-Am and that's why we talk about it? Rarely any talk about Linamar either. It's estimated that 20% of the content of every car sold in the US has their products in it.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You guys need a history lesson. Roush has been with Elio since March 2016.
https://www.eliomotors.com/press-release-elio-motors-adds-world-renowned-roush-as-lead-engineering-partner-on-blue-chip-auto-supplier-team/
If you remember, no mention of a unibody and steel body until May 2016.
https://www.eliomotors.com/first-e-series-vehicles-taking-shape-at-pilot-center-elio-momentum/
The way I see it is this. Roush just did what everyone has been telling them to do for years. Use a Unibody and an off the shelf engine. it just took Elio 2.5 years of acting on Roush's advice to finally give in and go with an off the shelf engine.

What I do not understand, is the fascination with Roush. Why so much talk about this company. What about Continental? They are way bigger and a major supplier to just about everyone. Is it because we know the Roush name from NHRA, IMSA and Trans-Am and that's why we talk about it? Rarely any talk about Linamar either. It's estimated that 20% of the content of every car sold in the US has their products in it.
Because it was when Elio announced that Roush was going through the engine/body that it seemed like Paul was close to a final design and it seemed like they were so close to manufacturing. Continental was more tire related and the announcement of their support wasn't as big of a deal at the time... or so it seemed.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because it was when Elio announced that Roush was going through the engine/body that it seemed like Paul was close to a final design and it seemed like they were so close to manufacturing. Continental was more tire related and the announcement of their support wasn't as big of a deal at the time... or so it seemed.
Continental makes more than just tires. Elio was to use them for the ABS/TC/Stability control and the ECU. So that seems to me to be a big deal as they are in charge for three major systems of the car. I think that the NASCAR connection with Roush is what gets everyones attention because that's what the person on the street knows. With the fixation of NASCAR here, then Roush carries much more clout I feel people think that jack is hanging out with Paul sipping lattes at Starbucks and deciding the future of Elio when they need to realize it's just a business and that's it. if daddy Jack was that interested in it, Jack Jr would be running Elio motors as opposed to spending his time farting around with IMSA.

dbacksfan81

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Roush was building race winning engines and cars when Paul Elio was an itch in his daddy's pants. Roush has won in NHRA, IHRA, AHRA, Trans Am, Camel GT Prototypes, and NASCAR. HIs engines and cars have won championships in all of those race series. He is a supplier to Ford Motor Sport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Roush

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roush was building race winning engines and cars when Paul Elio was an itch in his daddy's pants. Roush has won in NHRA, IHRA, AHRA, Trans Am, Camel GT Prototypes, and NASCAR. HIs engines and cars have won championships in all of those race series. He is a supplier to Ford Motor Sport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Roush
I don't need a Wiki page. I've been to Roush's facilities in Michigan and worked with them. I even know a few engineers that work there. The Roush Elio is dealing with is not the racing side. So, it's just the boring OEM engineering side that only got any attention because they made a Pizza Mobile for Dominoes.

Then there's the unknown company that supplies about 25% of every component on every car sold in the Americas and Europe. Usually it's a battle between them and Continental every year for the #1 supplier. I would be willing to guess that 25% of your Elio will come from this company.
https://www.magna.com

Top Bottom