• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Do You Think About This Vehicle...the Sam?

Dr. Werner

Reaction score

Attachments

• SAM.jpg
    SAM.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 388

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seen a green one in Switzerland a few years ago. It's a plastic chassis and made pretty crappy. It's more like a play toy as opposed to something you'd use every day. I could see using it in some closed retirement community where you never go more than 25 mph. Even the Europeans laughed at it and would never drive one. If they think it's funny and the won't accept it, I can't imagine Americans will go nuts for it. No wonder why they are trying to pawn it off on us.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Swiss company went bankrupt (2003), then employee owned then was sold again. Now Polish.
They've been trying to sell them in Europe for almost 20 years and they only sold about 300 units.
Joe's trying to get them into the US. He's already bought one and is having it delivered soon.
It will stand or fall on it's own merits. If it's a quality product, it will sell. Look at the 60's VW Bug.
However, this one's a little pricey, considering the purchase price doesn't include a battery.
And it's noisy. Funny someone mentioned a toy. It does look fun. It is fairly efficient.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Swiss company went bankrupt (2003), then employee owned then was sold again. Now Polish.
They've been trying to sell them in Europe for almost 20 years and they only sold about 300 units.
Joe's trying to get them into the US. He's already bought one and is having it delivered soon.
It will stand or fall on it's own merits. If it's a quality product, it will sell. Look at the 60's VW Bug.
However, this one's a little pricey, considering the purchase price doesn't include a battery.
And it's noisy. Funny someone mentioned a toy. It does look fun. It is fairly efficient.
I suggest you look at it in person before you make any decisions. Even at that, I'd drive it for a while too. If it was offered in kit form for $3K and then you pick or build your battery pack then I think it would be a fun project. Beyond that, it seems to be a bit expensive for a 20 year old design that didn't work in the first place.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom