• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Whatever Happened To The Iav Elio Spec Engine...

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the IAV Elio spec engine...

I wonder why R&D for the spec built IAV motor was never completed?

Did Elio ever release any test results?

Here is the original IAV press release from Elio Motors...

Troy, Mich., March 6, 2015 –

Elio Motors today announced it has unveiled its new 0.9 liter, 3-cylinder engine prototype, completing one of the company’s most important stages of development.

With a goal of up to 84 MPG and a projected top speed of more than 100 MPH, the enclosed, three-wheeled Elio requires an engine with a unique blend of power and efficiency that simply doesn’t exist on the market today.

Elio Motors, which plans to sell the vehicle for $6,800 when it launches in the first half of 2016, turned to world-class engine developer IAV to create a new technology that would meet the company’s needs.

“We are literally trying to reinvent the auto industry, so why go the conventional route and rework someone else’s engine?” said Paul Elio, President and CEO of Elio Motors. “There really was nothing available that combined the speed and power that we want and our customers deserve. IAV came through with an outstanding execution of today’s best technology that will be a cornerstone to delivering a world-class vehicle.”

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio has a Linkedin account. When you ask him where he's been, also ask him about the Elio engine. Then tell him about the class action lawsuit that you and Paul Ash might file against the company.

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio has a Linkedin account. When you ask him where he's been, also ask him about the Elio engine. Then tell him about the class action lawsuit that you and Paul Ash might file against the company.

You’re completely out of order...

Please don’t speak on my behalf...

I have no idea who Paul Ash is...and I’m not involved in any class action lawsuit...

If you’re involved in a class action lawsuit against Elio...that’s your own personal business...

Please keep your comments constructive and factual....

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You’re completely out of order...

Please don’t speak on my behalf...

I have no idea who Paul Ash is...and I’m not involved in any class action lawsuit...

If you’re involved in a class action lawsuit against Elio...that’s your own personal business...

Please keep your comments constructive and factual....

You bring up a iPetition from Paul Ash from 2015. Why did you do that then? With you being a $1K reservation holder, you have plenty of interest in a class action lawsuit. For me i have no reservation and sold all of my stock. I made plenty off of Elio stock but as of today, I can;t just go after the company because i feel like it. As for you, you have all of the backing and reasons to do it. So unless you act upon it, then you are just posting out of being upset because you put down $1K and didn't get your prize. Trust me, many others in this world put down way more than that and didn't get their prize either. It's how the world works.

I agree, Elio has made some big mistakes. I agree that the company could have been run better. I agree that the level of consumer acceptance was less than mediocre. I agree that the market has changed. That's life. It's not the first business to go through this and not the last. Honestly, last thing I'd want, is for Elio to get to production, hire 1500 people, open the 120 stores, deliver 65K units and then be bankrupt. I seriously doubt anyone else here would want that either. It's like when you have a job interview and on the second one you find out some things that becomes a deal killer. Better off to find out then than after getting hired on.

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the IAV Elio spec engine...

I wonder why R&D for the spec built IAV motor was never completed?

Did Elio ever release any test results?

Here is the original IAV press release from Elio Motors...

Troy, Mich., March 6, 2015 –

Elio Motors today announced it has unveiled its new 0.9 liter, 3-cylinder engine prototype, completing one of the company’s most important stages of development.

With a goal of up to 84 MPG and a projected top speed of more than 100 MPH, the enclosed, three-wheeled Elio requires an engine with a unique blend of power and efficiency that simply doesn’t exist on the market today.

Elio Motors, which plans to sell the vehicle for $6,800 when it launches in the first half of 2016, turned to world-class engine developer IAV to create a new technology that would meet the company’s needs.

“We are literally trying to reinvent the auto industry, so why go the conventional route and rework someone else’s engine?” said Paul Elio, President and CEO of Elio Motors. “There really was nothing available that combined the speed and power that we want and our customers deserve. IAV came through with an outstanding execution of today’s best technology that will be a cornerstone to delivering a world-class vehicle.”

From the best I can gather, there were 2 IAV/Elio engines. There is no evidence that either met the claimed performance specs, but both did run and were installed in the show cars. I am unaware of either of the being driven over 45mph, and have not heard/seen any indications that they have been on the road in the last few years.

Why? IAV remained unpaid for some time. By the time they were paid off, development had already stopped. We've had no news of successful or unsuccessful testing, so the safe assumption would be that the engine was never developed to anticipated specifications.

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can only guess, could be they had more than one option and didn't want to burn any bridges before they actually started into production.

Top Bottom