• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What's Jalopnick "up To"?

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yet another wacky article by Tavarish, this time contemplating what the mean inning of "up to" is.

http://jalopnik.com/elio-is-now-advertising-up-to-84-mpg-1753005172
I like the comments:

“Up to X MPG” is actually a pretty common phrase among car manufacturers. It’s how manufacturers refer to their highway mileage, typically, rather than their combined score. Take Jeep for example;

d1p3gc6dm5gqylpdad47.png

There’s nothing inherently wrong with this language, at least according to the FTC. Of course, if you’re a writer for Jalopnik with an axe to grind against Elio, it’s another matter...

Attachments

• 2016-01-15 06_48_28-Elio Is Now Advertising Up To 84 MPG.jpg
    2016-01-15 06_48_28-Elio Is Now Advertising Up To 84 MPG.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 253

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did notice the wording switch a while ago, but really, so what? I dont care if it gets 55 mpg, its all good to me.
I care. Though I was more intrigued to see EM's assertion in their SEC filing that they expect the vehicle to get closer to 92mpg with EPA, and 84mpg with NHTSA's closer to real world tests.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, this is standard CYA practice. They now have both reservation holders and stock holders who will hold them accountable for their public statements. If they happen to fall below the target and always state an unqualified "84 mpg", they could potentially have some legal liability for "misleading" advertizing. And it doesn't preclude higher numbers for things like efficiency. What would you sue for, the lost opportunity to buy more gas?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, this is standard CYA practice. They now have both reservation holders and stock holders who will hold them accountable for their public statements. If they happen to fall below the target and always state an unqualified "84 mpg", they could potentially have some legal liability for "misleading" advertizing. And it doesn't preclude higher numbers for things like efficiency. What would you sue for, the lost opportunity to buy more gas?
really? "we"?, samples and posts above seem to clearly indicate it's common practice.
22 miles per gallon -I'm still in as long as it's regular My BMW got 22 and needed premium!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I care. Though I was more intrigued to see EM's assertion in their SEC filing that they expect the vehicle to get closer to 92mpg with EPA, and 84mpg with NHTSA's closer to real world tests.
I care too. I'll be happy with the 75 MPG and $7500 price numbers in EM's original '08 Hello Elio 'Test the Waters' Marketing campaign. They should have left those numbers alone and simply met or better yet exceeded their original expectations.........Jalopnik's..........and more importantly...............ours. The "comforting 5 - star safety rating" marketing message was "comforting" to reservationists, but was never realistic for an autocycle to meet auto safety standards.

image.jpeg

I was told that the many intriguing EM assertions in the SEC filing document are of secondary importance to the more current and accurate information posted on EM's Website.

Top Bottom