• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

While Waiting,,, Bought A Yamaha 2015 Tmax Scooter!

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did the 'All In' for an Elio for a low cost and cool little vehicle. I also bought stock... I am still hopefull, but at the same time it is a 'wait and see what happens' as time has rolled along without it showing up. I am also a motorcycle guy and have owned a lot of them. I have five in the stable now.
I am getting older and arthritis has kicked in big time. The clutch has been an issue on a couple of my bikes if I get stuck in traffic. While automatic clutch conversions are availible I have not gone that route yet. I have also had a number of scooters over the years, including a Piaggio 500 three wheeler and have 'enjoyed' them but have not 'loved' them. The big open three wheelers have never appealed to me as I need, and like, the narrow profile of a motorcycle for parking and storage.
Enter the 2015 TMAX 530 from Yamaha. I have been looking at them for a few years when Yamaha brought them to the States. They are a 'Sport Scooter' and are built with performance in mind. Europe has a racing series built around them. They never really caught on in the US so there are older 'brand new' ones that are being pushed on the dealers to sell. I picked one up a few weeks ago and at 700+ miles can say this thing is a blast!
It handles well, has great lighting, great brakes, built in storage, hauls two people easily, will do freeway all day, big cushy seat, cvt trani, smooth as silk... I have not been this tickled about a motorcycle in a while. Gets in the high 40's low 50's for MPG on short hops. Steady freeway should be in the high 50's.
If you are thinking about two wheels while you are waiting for your Elio you might consider one.

2015-Yamaha-TMAX3.jpg

Uncle Charlie

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Two-wheeling is much more interesting in the rest of the world than it is here in the US, and I'm saying that as a motorcyclist myself. I've never tried any of the large scooters. I say if you're happy with it, ride on!

Sniffy

Elio Fan
Reaction score
A cheaper option would be the Honda CTX/NCX 700 series motorcycles with the DCT. I looked at the T-Max, and it's a very fine scooter. But the CTX was a better fit for my commuting needs.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did the 'All In' for an Elio for a low cost and cool little vehicle. I also bought stock... I am still hopefull, but at the same time it is a 'wait and see what happens' as time has rolled along without it showing up. I am also a motorcycle guy and have owned a lot of them. I have five in the stable now.
I am getting older and arthritis has kicked in big time. The clutch has been an issue on a couple of my bikes if I get stuck in traffic. While automatic clutch conversions are availible I have not gone that route yet. I have also had a number of scooters over the years, including a Piaggio 500 three wheeler and have 'enjoyed' them but have not 'loved' them. The big open three wheelers have never appealed to me as I need, and like, the narrow profile of a motorcycle for parking and storage.
Enter the 2015 TMAX 530 from Yamaha. I have been looking at them for a few years when Yamaha brought them to the States. They are a 'Sport Scooter' and are built with performance in mind. Europe has a racing series built around them. They never really caught on in the US so there are older 'brand new' ones that are being pushed on the dealers to sell. I picked one up a few weeks ago and at 700+ miles can say this thing is a blast!
It handles well, has great lighting, great brakes, built in storage, hauls two people easily, will do freeway all day, big cushy seat, cvt trani, smooth as silk... I have not been this tickled about a motorcycle in a while. Gets in the high 40's low 50's for MPG on short hops. Steady freeway should be in the high 50's.
If you are thinking about two wheels while you are waiting for your Elio you might consider one.

View attachment 21810

Not sure what the options might be back in the States, but out here three wheel tilting scooters are very popular for their sporty/stable driving and capability.
0e1dbaf6930ec391f35d4aaf990910a2.jpg

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A cheaper option would be the Honda CTX/NCX 700 series motorcycles with the DCT. I looked at the T-Max, and it's a very fine scooter. But the CTX was a better fit for my commuting needs.

I have a 2013 NC700X, but with the standard transmission. I can't believe how inexpensive this motorcycle is. I think I could by a new one with DCT for less than I paid for mine without it now. And I easily get 60+ MPG. Sadly I don't ride it much and plan on selling it soon.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Victory Ness Kingpin signature series to tide me over. I will be adding a windshield on it as soon as I decide which one I want. I also am all in and have bought stock. I still hope to have me Elio, but until then I still have joy in my life!!

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I went to the dealer I gave him a choice which bike he wanted to sell more, the 'old new' CTX 700 DCT or the 'old new' TMAX. The price was very close for both. He picked the TMAX and I am glad he did as the under seat storage is great. The NC was in the mix until I sat on it. I have a 2012 VStrom 1000 Adventure and it is WAY more comfortable than the NC 700. I really did not like the position on the NC so it was out right away. I did like the storage but not at the cost of riding position.
Curious why you think the CTX 700 would be better for commuting?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Victory Ness Kingpin signature series to tide me over. I will be adding a windshield on it as soon as I decide which one I want. I also am all in and have bought stock. I still hope to have me Elio, but until then I still have joy in my life!!

Nice, grats on the Kingpin! I love Victories, too bad they did not make it in the long run. This was my Kingpin Deluxe that I sold back in 2007 when I took a break from riding after my son was born. Mine came with a windshield but I took it off ASAP, LOL:

Right_front_small.jpg

That was such a smooth riding bike. I eventually took the rear seat off too since my wife did not ride with me.

Eventually I got back into riding but needed a commuter car too. When it started looking like Elio was going to keep pushing the date last year I bought my Miata to tide me over. I was having so much fun commuting in the Miata that I only ended up putting 400 miles on the bike after buying the car, so sold the bike a few months ago. Then used the profit to buy aftermarket parts for the car :D

I figure by the time my Elio Turbo will be rolling off the line we will be in our new house with larger workspace so I will be able to take my time with a Miata engine swap anyway. Go Elio!

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I 'got over it' for various reasons after owning it for 6 months. It may be the least amount of time I have owned a motorcycle... The Piaggio 500 MP3 three wheeler that is...

Last edited:
Top Bottom