• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

While We Wait!! A New Revolution Has Come Along

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Similar to the Elio, I have bought in to a new way to raise Bees. The 'Honey Flow Hive'. I have been interested in raising bees since I was a kid with my dad. I got stung a lot while helping harvest honey, the hell with that. Skip forward about 65 years, 8 or 9 mounts ago I ran across a new Idea, developed in Australia, to be manufactured in the US, crowd funded. The Honey Flow hive allows you to harvest honey from out side the hive without disturbing the bees. I liked that part. About 7 months ago, 'BAM', I ordered the Western Red Cedar' unit, rec'd, and it set in the shop until 3 days ago, finally got 'guts' enough to start putting it to gather. The super, brood box, brood frames were a 'piece of cake' to assemble. Applied one coat of 'Tong Oil' today. I'm on a roll, the only thing left is wiring the frames and installing the foundation and ordering my bees, getting time in US. Look at 'Flow Hive' on the web and You Tube to see it in action. I have, nor will not receive any compensation for sharing what I've found. Look at the cost verses the cost of all the Stainless steel equipment/etc. of going the old way.
I share this for what it might be worth to some of you. BTW they have sold over 44,000 units, world-wide, since they started only two years ago.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is rarely mentioned about the "bees dying off" thing, is that all those bees that are dying are the commercial farm bees. These are hives that are trucked around the country, sitting at one farm or another for a few weeks, then trucked across the country to the next paying customer.

When farms operate their own hives (not for honey, just for pollination) and plant additional bee-food flowers around their farms, they can have consistant pollination and the bees will be much healthier. But most commercial farms can't be bothered, and would rather spend $100k for two weeks of temporary bees.

The bees die from a combination of stress, parasites, and fungal infections.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Similar to the Elio, I have bought in to a new way to raise Bees. The 'Honey Flow Hive'. I have been interested in raising bees since I was a kid with my dad. I got stung a lot while helping harvest honey, the hell with that. Skip forward about 65 years, 8 or 9 mounts ago I ran across a new Idea, developed in Australia, to be manufactured in the US, crowd funded. The Honey Flow hive allows you to harvest honey from out side the hive without disturbing the bees. I liked that part. About 7 months ago, 'BAM', I ordered the Western Red Cedar' unit, rec'd, and it set in the shop until 3 days ago, finally got 'guts' enough to start putting it to gather. The super, brood box, brood frames were a 'piece of cake' to assemble. Applied one coat of 'Tong Oil' today. I'm on a roll, the only thing left is wiring the frames and installing the foundation and ordering my bees, getting time in US. Look at 'Flow Hive' on the web and You Tube to see it in action. I have, nor will not receive any compensation for sharing what I've found. Look at the cost verses the cost of all the Stainless steel equipment/etc. of going the old way.
I share this for what it might be worth to some of you. BTW they have sold over 44,000 units, world-wide, since they started only two years ago.
Thank you for the information. Please keep us informed on your progress

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let me know what you think. I know several beekeepers in my area. The latest chat is to tilt the box a few degrees to prevent water from accumulating in the bottom of the box. This ia particularly useful in a semi tropical region.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Huh.... I've seen the headlines, but never read the articles. And I never even knew there were such things as "hives on a truck".
susanreep.com_blog_wp_content_uploads_2010_03_IMG_1121.jpg

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let me know what you think. I know several beekeepers in my area. The latest chat is to tilt the box a few degrees to prevent water from accumulating in the bottom of the box. This ia particularly useful in a semi tropical region.
For real cold climates a solar panel can be used for a small heater.This will cut honey usage down and increase the likelihood (sp?) of the bees getting through winter. I have no desire to harvest the honey,

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many small aviaries are having the same problems. This is not something that only the commercial pollinators are having trouble with.
Unfortunately we need the bugs and they don't need us.

Top Bottom