• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

White Hot Rocket

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been watching the Elio for several years now. I love the idea of this car and will be buying one when they come out.

That all being said, I am severely impatient. The wait for my solid white, manual Elio(including icky Grey fender and tail pieces) is killing me. I plan on using this car as my daily driver as well as road trip car when the weather doesn't allow for my motorcycle.

Does anyone have any idea what this will be to insure? My 1989 FZR1000 only runs like $50 a month and it's a face melting death machine.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nolikeit, welcome to the forum and like you most of us are very anxious to get our Elio's. We also know it will not occur until the fall of 2015 and have learned to live with it. The forum keeps us informed on the progress and helps us pass the time. It also dispels the rumors that seem to pervade the other sites. We look forward to your comments and participation in the forum where you will find the members helpful and friendly.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome Nolikeit, If you are meaning insurance coverage, the FEDs are classifying the Elio as a motorcycle with three wheels. Plenty of additional information in the forum.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been watching the Elio for several years now. I love the idea of this car and will be buying one when they come out.

That all being said, I am severely impatient. The wait for my solid white, manual Elio(including icky Grey fender and tail pieces) is killing me. I plan on using this car as my daily driver as well as road trip car when the weather doesn't allow for my motorcycle.

Does anyone have any idea what this will be to insure? My 1989 FZR1000 only runs like $50 a month and it's a face melting death machine.
I understand insurance information will be more forthcoming after the vehicle actually exists in finished form. Elio is working on this so insurance companies will know what to expect.
You might as well sit back and relax. Being impatient will only give you an ulcer or worse. So hop on board the Elio train, explore all the information provided here and on EM and enjoy the ride. :-) Z

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Merely looking for speculation. I think it will be ridiculously low with it being a motorcycle and the fact that at 23 with accidents and speeding tickets(none within 2 or 3 years) my insurance for a full fledged 145 horsepower 172mph superbike only runs me $50 a month.

I think and hope I will soon have a vehicle that will get 80+ mpg and cost like $20 a month to insure. GO ELIO!

Just call mine the Thrifty Storm Trooper.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

We just don't know yet. As stated, info is in many threads. Paul Elio is, IMO, trying to play this from both ends. It is classified by one federal department as a motorcycle, but he wants another department to crash test it as a car. It would benefit his customers if their states classified it as a motorcycle for insurance purposes, but please don't require those same customers to pass a motorcycle license/endorsement test, or, heaven forbid, require them to wear a helmet. If in a state with HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes, an Elio would be permitted to use them with only the driver if classified as a motorcycle. If classified as a car, there would have to be a second occupant inside. If I recall correctly, life insurance companies used to ask if you were involved in certain activities they considered "dangerous" when you applied for a policy. I remember skydiving was one, and I believe they had asked if you owned a motorcycle. The average Elio owner might not be too pleased if this were to occur, just to get a break on their Elio coverage.

So stay tuned as the process plays out.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The politics of this is really quite important, and triple H has touched on some of it. Creating a new class of vehicle hasnt really been done, pretty much for 100 years, so there is alot we don't, and won't know as this evolves. An autocycle will bring in a whole new set of regulations. On the plus side, being in at the beginning will actually have some advantages in all the confusion, but things will get sorted out eventually. Expect that over time, this will become a subclass of automobile, with its own regulations, not adapted ones. I expect while insurance may be low over the early stages, it will slowly rise, since most motorcycles really don't pack on the mileage that cars do (in the same time period). This one will however, and more miles driven equals more insurance to pay. (my 1992 Honda Magna had slightly over 12k miles on it last year). Granted, some people put serious miles on a bike, but those people are part of a very small minority. The sheer volume of bikes and the ratio of total miles they actually cover per year keeps the insurance costs low.

Top Bottom