• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will The Elio Have An Interference Engine?

Triangles

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has it been mentioned anywhere if this will be an interference engine design? At least with a timing chain you don't have to worry as much compared to a timing belt if it is an interference engine.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they stay true to the G10 engine design heritage, then it won't be an interference engine. The latest photos of the engine castings shows a parallel valve head, which reduces the likelihood of valve to piston contact, unless valve lift is excessive.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They updated the G10 and added a head with variable cam timing, this will skew cam selection to one with higher lift rather than longer duration. I've seen VERY FEW engines with adjustable valve timing that are non-interference.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has it been mentioned anywhere if this will be an interference engine design? At least with a timing chain you don't have to worry as much compared to a timing belt if it is an interference engine.
Good question. Most high compression engines tend to be but since the Elio will have a timing chain, it shouldn't matter for 100,000 or many more miles. Typically, chains just get too loose and loud and the timing will start to suck. It'll be obvious that it needs changed before it goes. I'd be surprised if the engine outlasts the timing chain.

Triangles

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
They updated the G10 and added a head with variable cam timing, this will skew cam selection to one with higher lift rather than longer duration. I've seen VERY FEW engines with adjustable valve timing that are non-interference.
My ford zetec engine is non-interference and it has variable exhaust valve timing. I specifically sought a non-interference engine since my previous car (plymouth with an interference engine) died a premature death due to a timing belt failure with only 40k miles on the belt. I didn't do an autopsy but I assume the tensioner failed. It would be awesome if the elio was non-interference but using a chain opposed to an unreliable belt if it is an interference engine would be acceptable to me. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final specs are on the engine. I thought just maybe, they had mentioned it somewhere that I had missed.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE=
Hey triangle I hope you have it straight on your little "by line" at the bottom of your posts. You see I'm a good guy with the gun. No doubt about it. Plus I have the 100 percent sure fire plan to win every last street fight. LOL

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought just maybe, they had mentioned it somewhere that I had missed.

Hey Goofyone, could you ask your friend @ IAV if the Elio design is interference
or not?
upload_2014-8-20_10-40-4.jpeg

Triangles

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey triangle I hope you have it straight on your little "by line" at the bottom of your posts. You see I'm a good guy with the gun. No doubt about it. Plus I have the 100 percent sure fire plan to win every last street fight. LOL
It's my favorite line from one of my favorite movies. Out of context it somewhat loses its meaning. I'm glad you're a good guy with a gun. We need more like you. Unfortunately the gun grabbers are hell-bent on disarming good guys. I have yet to hear one say how they are going to get guns out of the hands of criminals. but I ramble off topic.....

Top Bottom