• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wisconsin law on 3 wheels.

smithsonssg

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wisconsin change the laws a bit.
As for licensing. If you take a test on a two wheeled motorcycle you can drive/ride any 2 or 3 wheeler . If you take the test on 3 wheels you are restricted to 3 wheels.
Wisconsin is a no helmet state. However under 18 requires one. I have ask but gotten no answers as to how the age requirement applies to Something like the ELIO.
LEO have stated that it is still a motorcycle. But in an enclosed Cab they do not see enforcement happening. I prefer a clear understandable law.
The same thing applies with eye protection . 100% require on a Motorcycle, windshield or not. Sidecar has enclosed cab LEO states still requires eye protection.
However it would not be enforced in a closed cab.
Wisconsin has no real age restriction for riding but the child must have a seat and means to hold on. ELIO meets all requirements.

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be ridiculous to require helmets in an Elio, regardless of age. You'd be fully enclosed with steel. There are seat belts and airbags. It's a car – minus one wheel. When autocycles start rolling out, surely laws will change in all states to accommodate.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be ridiculous to require helmets in an Elio, regardless of age. You'd be fully enclosed with steel. There are seat belts and airbags. It's a car – minus one wheel. When autocycles start rolling out, surely laws will change in all states to accommodate.
It IS a car for all intents and purposes. Some have even complained about the danger of getting T-boned. But it is the same in any car with side airbags if you are on that side; and, in the Elio (and BEX too, I imagine) you have an airbag on each side. Do any sedans have "middle" airbags to protect from knocking heads?

smithsonssg

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

If ELIO is classed as a car they are in trouble. Safety requirements are changing all the time . It would close the door on the Elio.
As for common sense in laws yea that would be nice but you have people making laws about things they know nothing about.
No doubt if we can still get the gas version the price will be higher. I don't care. If I know for a fact I can pick it up. I will be there cash in hand.
EV modal Most likely but need to really think about it.
To be clear on a real motor cycle I am 100% for helmets. I also support a person right to decide for them self.
In an enclosed cab any helmet worth wearing would take a lot of your vision away.

Top Bottom