• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Yes It Is Taking Some Time. What Changes Would You Consider?

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, it is taking some time for the Elio to get going. We all already know that.

What Changes Would You Consider? What I mean is from what you first going to order to now?

I would consider an automatic transmission. Particularly if it had a paddle shifter! Maybe heated seats and or steering wheel. Remote start? That would be nice!

What say you?

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And you can have my manual transmission when you pull it from my cold dead hands.

I've been a manual transmission guy since I began driving in 1958. But the industry is trying to drive people away from them by adding gears. The typical modern car now has 6 speeds and sometimes 7. That's more than most tour buses have. There is absolutely no need for that many gears in a family car. 4 speeds is fine. 5 is the maximum for me. And that's all I have to say about that!

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think all the gears is just so you can pick peak HP or peak MPG and keep it there. Not really to discourage people from buying manual transmissions. A number of them have a dual clutch arrangement so can shift like an automatic or manual.

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Originally I wanted the automatic, but after reading several posts from those in the know, the auto trans might not be as responsive as I’d hoped. Luckily, my SIL is 20k+ so there will be ample time for those with actual auto cycles to provide their impressions to responsiveness (well, as responsive as a 55 HP motor can be, I guess).

I’m still confused what an interior without carpet will look like - is it like a hard vinyl? Carpet is something I’m interested in, but I can possibly get that locally. Most other options just don’t appeal to me on the configurator.

What I have done though is started an Amazon list of accessories to buy: spray cleaner, seat cushion, tire pressure monitoring, braking light enhancer, remote back-up camera, stereo amp, extra dynamap, etc.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion, lack of a transmission is the biggest drawback of an electric car.
The instant torque that slams you into the seat back and quick 0-60mph will make up for it. :) Also, a slight increase in the margin of safety for EV drivers that are compelled to drink coffee, eat, put on makeup, and text when shifting gears manually is out of the equation.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The instant torque that slams you into the seat back and quick 0-60mph will make up for it. :) Also, a slight increase in the margin of safety for EV drivers that are compelled to drink coffee, eat, put on makeup, and text when shifting gears manually is out of the equation.
I like British sportscars. What is safety?

Top Bottom