• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/15/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 1

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes below is the last paragraph from V-38 Tech Talk just released

Over the next couple of weeks, we will share
some additional details about the Engine Control Unit (ECU), show nearly all of the components that have been machined to date and finally show the prototype Elio engine fully assembled. In doing so, the powertrain Tech Talk series will answer many of the questions you, our Elio fans and supporters, have been anxiously anticipating.

Yes in two week we will be shown the assembled motor for our Elio! Sweet, Very nice!
Terrence:)
Very nice indeed. But this is still there. "prototype Elio engine". Hey, at least it's one step closer!:)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets hope it runs well and impresses the investors. Once you have an engine that is proven the prototypes should come easy. If I were a billionaire investor looking at the Elio this is what it would take for me to come off some cash.

This is exactly what I have been saying all along. It is most difficult to find investors to buy into a dream early on in the process however once you move further along it becomes easier. Elio Motors will soon have, or likely already have, a running engine in development and will also soon have a whole series of pre-production vehicles undergoing the final development development process. Combine the final engine and vehicle development program with a modern state of the art manufacturing facility and tens of thousands of reservations and you are no longer simply selling an abstract concept but a tangible product ready for production.

At that point Elio Motors will also have hard numbers as to what the fuel mileage will be and what it will cost to build this vehicle which will give them a final retail price point. With all that hard information lined up it does not matter if Elio Motors receives the government backed loan or not as they will be able to find the money they need to bring this vehicle to market.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is exactly what I have been saying all along. It is most difficult to find investors to buy into a dream early on in the process however once you move further along it becomes easier. Elio Motors will soon have, or likely already have, a running engine in development and will also soon have a whole series of pre-production vehicles undergoing the final development development process. Combine the final engine and vehicle development program with a modern state of the art manufacturing facility and tens of thousands of reservations and you are no longer simply selling an abstract concept but a tangible product ready for production.

At that point Elio Motors will also have hard numbers as to what the fuel mileage will be and what it will cost to build this vehicle which will give them a final retail price point. With all that hard information lined up it does not matter if Elio Motors receives the government backed loan or not as they will be able to find the money they need to bring this vehicle to market.

So do we know where they are building the pre-production vehicles? And how? Are they all going to be built by hand like the P4 was? I would think that if there was a mfg plant set up somewhere to build these pre-production vehicles, we'd have heard about it. Do we even know if the P5 design has been finalized?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
They are probably much farther along on the engine, than they say they are.

After following along for a while now I have no doubt that the engine is already running before they even started this Tech Talk series about the engine. EM knows that everything they release is heavily scrutinized so they have decided it is better to be cautious and only release information via their official channels when they are as sure as they can be that it is final. This can be frustrating to those of us following along as it leads to times of little tangible information which are invariably filled with all kinds of speculation.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
So do we know where they are building the pre-production vehicles? And how? Are they all going to be built by hand like the P4 was? I would think that if there was a mfg plant set up somewhere to build these pre-production vehicles, we'd have heard about it. Do we even know if the P5 design has been finalized?

From what I know from information from various Tech Talks, conversation with EM personnel, and a few other sources the entire E-series will be built by the same company in Michigan who built the previous prototypes, Technosports Inc. The first E series vehicle will be built by hand, which is why I choose to label it the P5/E0, and will then be used as a template for building sub-assemblies as well as to test the fit of various parts such as the prototype wiring harness. This work will allow the other two dozen or so E-series pre-production vehicles to be assembled in a sequence very similar to how they will be built on the assembly line which should also allow them to be assembled relatively quickly by Technosports.

As far as I know the P5 chassis design was finalized months ago. In some ways the delays in securing the plant and subsequent funding have actually helped the process by giving more time than expected to refine the engine and sub-assembly parts.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After following along for a while now I have no doubt that the engine is already running before they even started this Tech Talk series about the engine. EM knows that everything they release is heavily scrutinized so they have decided it is better to be cautious and only release information via their official channels when they are as sure as they can be that it is final. This can be frustrating to those of us following along as it leads to times of little tangible information which are invariably filled with all kinds of speculation.
From what I know from information from various Tech Talks, conversation with EM personnel, and a few other sources the entire E-series will be built by the same company in Michigan who built the previous prototypes, Technosports Inc. The first E series vehicle will be built by hand, which is why I choose to label it the P5/E0, and will then be used as a template for building sub-assemblies as well as to test the fit of various parts such as the prototype wiring harness. This work will allow the other two dozen or so E-series pre-production vehicles to be assembled in a sequence very similar to how they will be built on the assembly line which should also allow them to be assembled relatively quickly by Technosports.

As far as I know the P5 chassis design was finalized months ago. In some ways the delays in securing the plant and subsequent funding have actually helped the process by giving more time than expected to refine the engine and sub-assembly parts.

;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

numerous members of this forum have announced plans to leave the factory and make lengthy trips home and there can be no doubt that the impressions of those with early reservation numbers will be all over the internet .... for that reason, I believe that its very important (pert near critical ;) ) for the first generation of vehicles to roll off the assembly line so well built that they receive rave reviews .... having extra time to refine the process may prove to be a very good thing

Jim

Top Bottom