• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/22/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 2

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Not if they want to get 84 MPG. Unless they do the funny math and calculate the MPG based on gasoline and not the ethanol bit.
Actually the official MPG will be calculated using 100% gasoline as that is the way the government mandates it even if it is not what we buy at the pump. This is just one of several reasons why what the vehicle is rated may not be what you see in the real world.
EPA fuel economy tests are conducted according to Federal testing regulations which require 100 percent gasoline. These regulations could be changed, but changing them would be somewhat problematic. While it is common for gasoline pumps to allow for up to 10 percent ethanol, the actual amount of ethanol blended into the gasoline varies greatly, and fuel blending requirements vary by state. Changing the test methods would also make it difficult to compare vehicles tested with ethanol blends with those tested with straight gasoline. So, without a national standard for blended regular gasoline and a Federal mandate to change the test fuel used, the EPA will not change the test fuel.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Loved the article but hated to see the "Made in India" on the ECU. I understand the whole car can not be "American made" but one can wish.

A "Made In USA" sticker would mean little on an all-electronic device like an engine ECU. In fact, it would be deceptive.

I design PC board based products for a living. Every one of those products is assembled, programmed, and tested in Shelton, Connecticut. However, almost every electronic component within those products is from outside the USA. Why? They simply aren't made here anymore.

Anyone with a surface mount pick-and-place machine can assemble that ECU and India is not particularly well known for that. What they DO have is a crapload of people willing to write embedded software and they do it cheaply. I would not be a bit surprised if the production units are built outside of India.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A "Made In USA" sticker would mean little on an all-electronic device like an engine ECU. In fact, it would be deceptive.

I design PC board based products for a living. Every one of those products is assembled, programmed, and tested in Shelton, Connecticut. However, almost every electronic component within those products is from outside the USA. Why? They simply aren't made here anymore.

Anyone with a surface mount pick-and-place machine can assemble that ECU and India is not particularly well known for that. What they DO have is a crapload of people willing to write embedded software and they do it cheaply. I would not be a bit surprised if the production units are built outside of India.

I guess it could be worse, it could say "Made in China.:"

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it would appear that EM's little 55hp motor is the industry's latest "new thing" and as such, for the good or bad, will be covered extensively in the coming days/weeks .... EM controls the info released so many of the articles will center around rehashing the data with commentators throwing in their two cents

Jim

Top Bottom