• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Come back to me when Elon Musk sells a car, electric or gas for what our ELIO will sell for, or when his space travel becomes "affordable to the masses" (that's a laugh) then we'll talk. For now Paul Elio is a hero in my book for trying to bring a real and affordable transportation to the masses. ;)

I thought it was HILARIOUS when Tesla announced the Model 3. More affordable to everyone??? starting at only $35,000! :eek::confused: Just who is this everyone that they are considering?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought it was HILARIOUS when Tesla announced the Model 3. More affordable to everyone??? starting at only $35,000! :eek::confused: Just who is this everyone that they are considering?

The fallout of the Model 3 announcement is having its impact. Because of this so-called "affordable" 200+ mile electric on the horizon:
Chevy has sprinted to get their Bolt out the door first.
Ford has decided to pursue a long range EV
Nissan has held off announcing their 2017 Leaf, presumably to see if they can hit that magic 200 mile range.

Among other things. The result, is that in 3 or 4 years there will be a glut of long range EVs hitting the market as they come off of lease, and these 3-year-old cars really WILL be affordable to the masses. :D

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But if it fails, how many of us will say "I am sorry, I was wrong and you all were right"?
I will not seek out anybody to apologize but when the 8 or 9 that I have talked to about Elio tell me "I told you so" I will say you were right, but it was a fun ride while it lasted!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The fallout of the Model 3 announcement is having its impact. Because of this so-called "affordable" 200+ mile electric on the horizon:
Chevy has sprinted to get their Bolt out the door first.
Ford has decided to pursue a long range EV
Nissan has held off announcing their 2017 Leaf, presumably to see if they can hit that magic 200 mile range.

Among other things. The result, is that in 3 or 4 years there will be a glut of long range EVs hitting the market as they come off of lease, and these 3-year-old cars really WILL be affordable to the masses. :D

Please define "long range".
My average vehicle over the past 50 years has been 300+ miles per tank of gas.
200 miles doesn't really get there for me.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Long range = all the range you will need in your day-to-day driving.

Do you find that you need to refuel your car every night? If you are stopping at the gas station on your way home every day, then an electric car is certainly not for you. But if you need to fuel up, say, every 3 days, then a 200-mile range EV would be more than enough. Because unlike a gas car, it is super easy to plug in your car at home every night. Like plugging in your cell phone, it just becomes a habit.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ass.u.me you were asking me :). Long range: A vehicle reaching great enough distances to meet an individual's personal driving needs without refueling,

You seem disappointed that EVs don't work for your personal driving needs, but maintain hope in that the extended range battery technology may meet your needs in the near future.

Long range = all the range you will need in your day-to-day driving.

Do you find that you need to refuel your car every night? If you are stopping at the gas station on your way home every day, then an electric car is certainly not for you. But if you need to fuel up, say, every 3 days, then a 200-mile range EV would be more than enough. Because unlike a gas car, it is super easy to plug in your car at home every night. Like plugging in your cell phone, it just becomes a habit.

Actually, I'm asking you to "quantify" what you mean by "Long Range".
We've already established that in my case 200 miles wouldn't "Git er done".
You've both stated what you would want for daily driving, but that doesn't cover what you mean by "Long Range".
For example, my idea of "Long Range" is when I need to do 800 to 1000 miles in a day which pretty much limits me to some kind of hydrocarbon based fuel.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the EV world, "long range" is basically shorthand for "200+ miles". And any Tesla can do 800-1000 miles in a day as long as you are following a route which has DC fast charging stations along the way.
But that's like saying "Any Ford can do 800-1000 miles as long as you have gas stations along the way", which is to say that it is an infrastructure issue, not an EV issue. And there IS a rapidly growing network of fast-charging stations.

The exciting thing about new 200-mile range cars coming on the market, is that Teslas will no longer be the ONLY car that can do cross-country trips. That said, Tesla still has the best "cross country" distribution of charging stations. The other two types of DC fast charging are mostly centered around major population zones, while Tesla has gone out of their way to create a nationwide Interstate network.

The following is only representative of density--not actual numbers. For instance, the chart shows nothing in southern California for Tesla stations, when that is blatantly untrue when you zoom in (these are screen-caps from Plugshare, a handy EV charging station location website/app).

2wpttvm.jpg

Again, for now, if you are somebody who commutes 1000-miles in a single day, on a weekly basis, then an EV is not for you. (A better investment would be your own airplane! Or an Elio :D). But if you travel that sort of distance less than once a month, then the savings you see in daily driving in an EV would more than pay for a rental car or U-Haul for those long-distance trips.

On a side note, Kia has promised to develop a 350 mile range EV by 2020 (or was it 2025? I can't find my source right now.) So right around the time Chevy Bolts will be coming off their leases. The rich folk can upgrade to a longer range Kia, and I can pick up a Bolt on the cheap :D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I'm asking you to "quantify" what you mean by "Long Range".
We've already established that in my case 200 miles wouldn't "Git er done".
You've both stated what you would want for daily driving, but that doesn't cover what you mean by "Long Range".
For example, my idea of "Long Range" is when I need to do 800 to 1000 miles in a day which pretty much limits me to some kind of hydrocarbon based fuel.
You buy what works for you is the best answer. Your idea of "long range" falls under the gas car category and is not a fair comparison to electric cars available right now. If I can "afford" a 200 plus all electric car then that will be my choice because I drive less than 200 miles in a day, get it? Most of us are into Elio because of it's affordability and it's touted 84 mpg/600+ range (no actual results posted as of this time). I'll tell you this much, if I'm one of the super rich, I'll be driving a Porsche 918 w/ 887 horses on tap and won't feel guilty because at least...it's a hybrid! :D

Top Bottom