• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

250,000 Units Per Year ?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The $1000 upgrade to an auto trans in a $6800 vehicle seems a bit out of whack at 15% of the total cost. Did I read some time ago that it could be less? Perhaps more profit margin on the transmission than the car itself.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The $1000 upgrade to an auto trans in a $6800 vehicle seems a bit out of whack at 15% of the total cost. Did I read some time ago that it could be less? Perhaps more profit margin on the transmission than the car itself.

less would be a good thing .... I've seen a thousand posted several times but doubt that anyone knows for sure

Jim

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many have posted the speculation of 1000, but in truth it can run anywhere from 400 to 1000 depending on the transmission they go with....

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like wishful thinking

From Edmonds Ford Mustang History:

"Even Ford was shocked at America's appetite for the Mustang during '65. It sold an astounding 409,260 coupes, 77,079 2+2 fastbacks and 73,112 convertibles that year. That's a total of 559,451 Mustangs for the '65 model year."
"Incredibly, the '66 was even more popular than the '65 and Ford sold 607,568 of them — 499,751 coupes, 35,698 2+2s and 72,119 convertibles."

That was 50 years ago.....

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Labor, plain and simple. Average wage of a Chinese factory worker in 2014 is $1.36 per hour. I would argue "quality" 20 years ago but YOU even have something in your current vehicle that was made in China, no matter what it is unless you made it yourself. Hyundai (S. Korea) produces one of the highest quality vehicles today and is backed with their legendary 10-Yr / 100k mile warrenty that no US manufacturer would dream of giving. Ford, GM and Chrysler all almost collapsed in the 70'ies and 80'ies due to poor quality and if you look at trustworthy sources like Consumer Reports, they still fall behind in quality. Just the names Honda and Toyota make most people think "quality" just by their name and reputation. When they make them (and they will), $5k may be a little low but people will choose based on the same way they choose a regular car. Quality, MPG, insurance, any other number of things that make us buy what we do. I have 2 Toyotas and a Ford F-150 (the most american made vehicle there is at 75%) and I'm impressed with the quality improvements Ford has made.
I have an '07 PT Cruiser with a Lifetime powertrain warranty, engine block and all internal pieces, transmission case and all internal pieces including drive axles, cv joints and boots. Currently 236,000 miles, replaced one cam position sensor 2 timing belts (all under warranty) still running the original battery.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have an '07 PT Cruiser with a Lifetime powertrain warranty, engine block and all internal pieces, transmission case and all internal pieces including drive axles, cv joints and boots. Currently 236,000 miles, replaced one cam position sensor 2 timing belts (all under warranty) still running the original battery.
I wanted a PT Cruiser when they came out. Went to the dealership and the price was $10,000 over invoice due to demand. Told them To KMA, never went back and lost all interest in the car, now I think their ugly!

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, but at $7K, if it lasts 5 years, then you need to buy another one, it's the same as buying a $30K car and it lasting 20 years. I'm not saying that these are or should be disposable cars, but for the money, how long do we really expect / need them to last? I don't see getting 200,000 miles and 20 years of service out of mine. Maybe it will, but I'm not counting on it/
With the electronic fuel injection and a reluctor wheel ignition timing (no distributor) I see no reason why it can't go 2 or even 3 hundred thousand miles. I have to believe it would be very simple to repower it, either freshen up the existing engine (rings and bearings, maybe a bore job and oversize pistons and a valve job) remember it's only 3 cylinders so relatively cheap. By the time it's needed, there might something else that would make more sense, (diesel, direct injected, hydrogen generator) who knows? Just get them in the consumers hands and lets drive the wheels off them.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wanted a PT Cruiser when they came out. Went to the dealership and the price was $10,000 over invoice due to demand. Told them To KMA, never went back and lost all interest in the car, now I think their ugly!
I love mine, pull the back seats out and have quite a little cargo hauler, can add one back seat to haul 3 people, the other back seat to carry 4 people or both back seats to carry 5 people. The perfect replacement for an old air cooled beetle lover.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love mine, pull the back seats out and have quite a little cargo hauler, can add one back seat to haul 3 people, the other back seat to carry 4 people or both back seats to carry 5 people. The perfect replacement for an old air cooled beetle lover.
I'll stick with my Nissan crew cab truck, seats 5 and I can still haul stuff in the bed, no messing around with seats. :)

Top Bottom