• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to pay some attention to the headlight issue. The outrigger wheels have a resonance with classic old fashioned cars and 'flying' headlights might look interesting as well as make people feel more secure about the 'narrow' look at night.
So there are two ways to structure that, extend from the body, which requires a hole(s), or have it somehow bolt on down at the suspension.
OK there is a third, modify the external mirror to add running lights.

What would look best? Other ideas? I'll take your top suggestions, and make at least three models to compare the options. New wheel covers and other accessories will be compared as well. So what things do ya want, if money and what others think was no issue?
(I.e. Dance like nobody is looking...)

Okay, this might sound ridiculous, but if one wanted to 'show off' their cool rims, and still wanted to keep their 84+ mpg (optimistic, I am), how about scratch resistant clear polycarbonate or lexan outer covers (easily removable of cleaning). It would retain the 'aero' of the original wheel fairings, but allow the 'bling' to be seen. Just throwing it out there. :)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, this might sound ridiculous, but if one wanted to 'show off' their cool rims, and still wanted to keep their 84+ mpg (optimistic, I am), how about scratch resistant clear polycarbonate or lexan outer covers (easily removable of cleaning). It would retain the 'aero' of the original wheel fairings, but allow the 'bling' to be seen. Just throwing it out there. :)

Just to clarify (no pun intended), the fenders would be fiberglass/composite of some sort, and the clear outer covers would be on the outside surface so the wheels/rims would be visible.

I reread my first post, and I started thinking that it might sound like the entire fender was to be made of polycarbonate/lexan. That'd look like crap about two miles down the road with the road debris kicking up. Although, it might be kind of cool to see what's going on in there driving in the rain.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to clarify (no pun intended), the fenders would be fiberglass/composite of some sort, and the clear outer covers would be on the outside surface so the wheels/rims would be visible.

I reread my first post, and I started thinking that it might sound like the entire fender was to be made of polycarbonate/lexan. That'd look like crap about two miles down the road with the road debris kicking up. Although, it might be kind of cool to see what's going on in there driving in the rain.
Well, I still think it will get dirty, but definitely I can try that.
Something does seem to be wrong with that model, it's not got the 3d available and the image is stretched. I made that in 2015, and the others in 2014.
I'll have to redo that one in 2014 and re-upload it. Also the old collection link seems dead, but you goto the same place from any model. Weird.
K, so here's the link to the distorted version, but like I say, I'll reload from Sketch-up 2014.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u12f1bf68-acf6-4c87-93f0-45034c146c70

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I still think it will get dirty, but definitely I can try that.
Something does seem to be wrong with that model, it's not got the 3d available and the image is stretched. I made that in 2015, and the others in 2014.
I'll have to redo that one in 2014 and re-upload it. Also the old collection link seems dead, but you goto the same place from any model. Weird.
K, so here's the link to the distorted version, but like I say, I'll reload from Sketch-up 2014.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u12f1bf68-acf6-4c87-93f0-45034c146c70

Distorted, but looks good anyway!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ari! Quick! We need a SketchUp pic of a driver pumping gas from the 'wrong side' of the Elio! :D(G1 made me think of it with his last post on that thread).
Ammm,, K, I'll look into that. Have a link to that?.. BTW, I forgot to say, I do have several export types in 2015 including DWG, DXF, 3DS, DAE, FBX, IFC, KFC, IFC, KMZ,WRL, XSI.
I updated to 2014 on line, but doesn't look better .... yet.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ammm,, K, I'll look into that. Have a link to that?.. BTW, I forgot to say, I do have several export types in 2015 including DWG, DXF, 3DS, DAE, FBX, IFC, KFC, IFC, KMZ,WRL, XSI.
I updated to 2014 on line, but doesn't look better .... yet.

I'll have to do a little searching, but I think it was a remark G1 made in the "600lb. Gorilla" thread. It was all in fun...but it might be cool to have one to throw on the never ending "gas cap" thread.

As for the SketchUp 2015, would those be downloadable from the 3DWarehouse site? If so, that would be fantastic! I'm pretty sure the FreeCAD software I've got can convert the .dwg and .dxf files. Going to be pretty busy for the next couple of days, but after Thanksgiving, I'm hoping to log some "couch time" with the new laptop. :D

Top Bottom