• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm...Seemed pretty close track and wheelbase-wise looking at your prelim modeling job, but judging from where your son, or grandson is standing next to the plug in your Avatar, the seating and controls would definitely have to be moved if you wanted room for a passenger. Nice job!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm...Seemed pretty close track and wheelbase-wise looking at your prelim modeling job, but judging from where your son, or grandson is standing next to the plug in your Avatar, the seating and controls would definitely have to be moved if you wanted room for a passenger. Nice job!
Well the upper part of the body is narrow, but lower is very wide. So I use that to do the trick where you put the driver seat partly between the legs of the passenger. It does displace passenger positions quite a bit from the Elio.
And too the engine area, and indeed everything above the 'water line' is more narrow, so the entire Elio chassis above mid-level, pretty much won't work for the Atlantric spatial volumes. You can tell all that from the earlier intersection I posted.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did the wild-man game with this 'intersection', so forgive that it's a work in progress.
It's very interesting, but definitely needs better style matching. The new fenders should retain more of the form-shapes from the central body.
Also it would be advisable to use Elio headlights, and in the image below I simply pasted the 2d in the picture you see below. I actually need to have the true geometry built into the 3d model for those headlights.

Still I do see plenty of potential in it to create the illusion of a completely different car.
It has the possibility of better aerodynamics (coefficient) and gives some trunk space too. The trade off is a larger aerodynamic cross-section and more weight plus the requirement for the driver to jump in from the top.

I'll probably work on it some more before I call it done. I can definitely make the adaptation look more natural than this.
SuperSected2.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely not turning into your grandmother's Elio! A turbo is surely justified in this one.
Would any one know what this was if you called them after market saddlebags? Nacelles are a much closer designation.

SuperSectedx.png

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely not turning into your grandmother's Elio! A turbo is surely justified in this one.
Would any one know what this was if you called them after market saddlebags? Nacelles are a much closer designation.

View attachment 4864

Turn those babies into fuel tanks! You'd only have to fuel up once a year.;)

Side note - I WANT one of those canopys on mine! Go with a gold tint like the EA-6B's. Might keep you from bursting into flames in the AZ sun.

EA-6B_Prowler.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dang! Got me thinking again, Ari. F-15's have conformal fuel tanks to extend their range. Since the Elio definitely won't need 'extended range' on a full tank of gas, how about conformal storage compartments that blend into the body just behind the door and wrap around to the other side (symetric). Could look cool, and be functional.

Edit: Removable for the 'roadtrips' back and forth to work...which, unfortunately, will be 99% of what mine will be doing.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dang! Got me thinking again, Ari. F-15's have conformal fuel tanks to extend their range. Since the Elio definitely won't need 'extended range' on a full tank of gas, how about conformal storage compartments that blend into the body just behind the door and wrap around to the other side (symetric). Could look cool, and be functional.

Edit: Removable for the 'roadtrips' back and forth to work...which, unfortunately, will be 99% of what mine will be doing.
Well, back up in this thread it was suggested to have a scoop actually be that, pretty much. Yes, IMHO, do-able. But remember extra side weight at the back is hugely more trouble than nearer the front.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cool factor ten here! The whole front end tilts! What do you think?
Credit the picture to Scott Moore from EMOA on facebook. Posted with his permission.

Attachments

• 1378572_10204698013464436_2481016059914647509_n.jpg
    1378572_10204698013464436_2481016059914647509_n.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 283

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
>Tilt~
That would certainly make it easier to work on! If everything is bolted to the actual chassis, then it's a little easier to do.

This is a little update. What movie does this belong in, Star Trek, Star Wars, Galactica, Mars Attacks, or Plan 9 From Outer Space?
I think it will need a foot step to get into it.
SuperSectedxBack.png

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
>Tilt~
That would certainly make it easier to work on! If everything is bolted to the actual chassis, then it's a little easier to do.

This is a little update. What movie does this belong in, Star Trek, Star Wars, Galactica, Mars Attacks, or Plan 9 From Outer Space?
I think it will need a foot step to get into it.
View attachment 4869
Very cool concept, but I think you just increased the width possibly making a real dent in mpg, though if you're telling me there's a BMW S70/2 yanked out of a McLaren F1, under the hood, I'm all in! :D

Top Bottom