• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/25/2014 Tech Talk - Focus Turns To The Cylinder Head

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio_TechTalk_Header5ee076.jpg
Focus turns to the Cylinder Head

In a previous Tech Talk, (click here) Elio Motors provided an update on the engine block and cylinder head prototype kick-off. Since then, steady progress continues on the overall Elio Motors engine with the cylinder head being the current focus.

Given fuel efficiency is one of Elio’s four “must haves,” there is a concerted effort applied toward combustion attributes, port design and valve events. With each, there is a strong underlying requirement for reliability, which forces attention to geometric tolerances and interactions, metallurgy, metrology, etc. When the engine is downsized, performance remains important such that the airflow characteristics and capability of the cylinder head/valvetrain are critical.
cb19cc7d-6000-44dd-9e48-bacbc1201e55.jpg

The Ports

Both the intake and exhaust ports were designed to have unimpeded flow into and out of the combustion chamber. The line-of-sight “tumble port” intake ports are designed to have high-flow capacity as well as generating high levels of in-cylinder air motion. The in-cylinder motion, in concert with careful shaping of the combustion chamber, enables fast burn rates and high knock resistance.

The intake port design and the fuel injector targeting allow for all the fuel to be aimed at the backside of the intake valve via:

Closed Valve Injection Timing: Allows for better fuel vaporization (heating) in part-throttle light load operation
and optimizes combustion efficiency for best fuel economy and lowest emissions.

Value Open Injection Timing: This same fuel targeting allows for very effective strategies at high load full-throttle performance. The fuel enters the chamber in atomized state (liquid – small droplet diameter), which cools the combustion chamber and allows for higher compression ratio and more optimized spark timing. In this way, a more cost efficient port fuel injected (PFI) engine can return similar knock resistance to a direct fuel injection (DI) engine.
493936b2-cae8-480b-9870-a16feffde5c6.jpg

The Combustion Chamber

The combustion chamber was designed to be very compact with a low surface/volume ratio. This minimizes the heat transfer out of the combustion chamber, improving the thermal efficiency and consequently improving the fuel efficiency of the engine.

The spark plug is angled towards the center of the combustion chamber and this, together with the deep piston bowl, allows for maximum flame kernel growth prior to surface impingement. This flame growth, in concert with the conversion of bulk in-cylinder motion into flame front turbulence, is responsible for the fast burn rate. A faster burn rate is important for minimizing octane requirements and maximizing higher indicated efficiency.

Another feature of the combustion chamber that enhances the burn rate is the large squish area that was included to help with in-cylinder turbulence near time of ignition.

The features that create the high burn rate also contribute to good homogeneity (uniform mixture composition). High burn rates and good homogeneity allow for high rates of EGR to be applied to the engine, which in turn reduces pumping loss at part-load for improved fuel economy. EGR also reduces the temperatures in the combustion chamber which reduces NOx formation for improved/reduced engine-out emissions.
af7ec7fc-6a12-4044-b9d4-fc12da3c616b.jpg

The Upper Cam Shaft Cover

One of the many innovative design features of the engine is the upper cam shaft cover, which includes integrated cam caps. The integrated cam caps improve cam bearing performance and reduce oil pump requirement/sizing (reduced parasitic loss). This feature also allows for reduced part count in the manufacturing assembly process. The lower part count decreases complexity, which cuts cost. Decreasing the manufacturing complexity minimizes the cycle time for assembly knowing that time is money.

IAV (click here) has engineered the Elio Motors cylinder head to achieve its fuel efficiency goal and has included additional features to minimize overall costs. Stay tuned as future Tech Talks will continue to provide updates on the engine development progress.

331ef83e-2d4b-455e-944a-2a9db52e7995.jpg

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=9425a5595f

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a very good design update. But, for the life of me, I can't understand why they won't investigate water injection for knock control--it's extremely effective and cheap...probably they're worried about the nut behind the wheel who might put alcohol in there.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One interesting detail to me is what I assume is the casting date on the cylinder head, May 31, 2014. What is strange is that this is a full three months after we know the block was cast, late February, so I am wondering why it took so long.

Maybe its a revised version? It would be nice to see a fully machined block and head. Or even better a complete assembled engine.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe its a revised version? It would be nice to see a fully machined block and head. Or even better a complete assembled engine.

It would be great to see a fully assembled engine!

A revision of the head was one of the things I have considered but it would be interesting to know more. It will be great to hear some of the behind the scenes stories later on after everything has settled down and the vehicle is in production as I am sure there are plenty of changes and interesting happenings which have gone on behind the scenes.

Last edited:

dunkybones

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not enough of a gearhead to know whether this is good news or blowing smoke, but I like pictures of things getting made.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One interesting detail to me is what I assume is the casting date on the cylinder head, May 31, 2014. What is strange is that this is a full three months after we know the block was cast, late February, so I am wondering why it took so long.

A LOT of research went in to combustion chamber shape and size, intake runner shape and volume, to meet target efficiency. Impressive details & pics. THANKS !

hippazoid

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

With the hand written date, still very early stuff. But with IAV's expertise, I would think that it's probably near net and they're finally comfortable enough with it to commit it to metal.

Top Bottom