• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

8/28/2014 - The Truth About Cars - Exclusive Capsule Review: Elio Motors P4 Prototype

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've always found The TruthAboutCars.com to be a realistic car website that doesn't
try to sell cars, the way so many of the others do. Having followed the advice (twice, no less!)
of Motor Trend and Track an Car and Driver Reviews and lived to regret it, I pay no
attention to anything most rah-rah car mags say in their automotive reviews. I did find out,
for the first time in any review, that the steering box, the prime subject of so many of the reviews,
is not the production unit. This is one of the advantages of having a car guy review the Elio
rather than the local TV weatherman. I can't think of a single reason why in the world a 1200
pound car should need either power steering or power brakes. I drove for ten years a Camaro
that had neither, and it weighed almost three times more than the Elio. If anyone gripes about
10 second zero to sixty times, then go do some research and you'll find that the 1967
Austin-Healey 3000 Mk2 two seat sports car, with a 6 cylinder, manual tranny, managed 0 to 60
runs in three separate car mag road tests of 10, 10.5 and 11.0 seconds. All slower than the Elio.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I've always found The TruthAboutCars.com to be a realistic car website that doesn't
try to sell cars, the way so many of the others do. Having followed the advice (twice, no less!)
of Motor Trend and Track an Car and Driver Reviews and lived to regret it, I pay no
attention to anything most rah-rah car mags say in their automotive reviews. I did find out,
for the first time in any review, that the steering box, the prime subject of so many of the reviews,
is not the production unit. This is one of the advantages of having a car guy review the Elio
rather than the local TV weatherman. I can't think of a single reason why in the world a 1200
pound car should need either power steering or power brakes. I drove for ten years a Camaro
that had neither, and it weighed almost three times more than the Elio. If anyone gripes about
10 second zero to sixty times, then go do some research and you'll find that the 1967
Austin-Healey 3000 Mk2 two seat sports car, with a 6 cylinder, manual tranny, managed 0 to 60
runs in three separate car mag road tests of 10, 10.5 and 11.0 seconds. All slower than the Elio.

Well said, Mr. Kent! Everything's relative. And, agreed on the quality of this article by TTAC.

Wheelthang

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing he said that I found interesting. "The production mirrors will be SUBSTANTIALLY larger."
Larger mirrors mean more drag = less aerodynamocity(new word I just coined) = less mpg. My HD Electroglide has mirrors about the same size as the P4 and it was no problem getting used to them nor being able to see everything behind me. I would be satisfied with the P4s mirrors as they are.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Larger mirrors mean more drag = less aerodynamocity(new word I just coined) = less mpg. My HD Electroglide has mirrors about the same size as the P4 and it was no problem getting used to them nor being able to see everything behind me. I would be satisfied with the P4s mirrors as they are.
On the other hand, sounds like they're confident enough in their aerodynamics/etc that they're considering making changes that would lower theoretical mpg for the sake of usability.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: Well said, Mr. Kent! Everything's relative.

Liked this from TTAC piece:
When I first became aware of Elio and their trike though I understood why those who said it was vaporware said so, my own initial reaction was, “it’s not rocket science, they could very well succeed.” Now that I’ve driven their latest prototype I’m even more convinced about their chances for success. :)

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Goofyone. If you read the article, it mentions towards the end, that the first years production estimate is 60,000. We have all been stuck on that 40,000 number. Wonder if they will cut off reservations at that number.
Guess we will find out; we are now 1/2 the way to 60,000 reservations!
Wait until the IAV engine is done, and the "E" Series are built. Then there will be the "Show and Drive" tour, closer to production..... I'm betting on a First Year SELLOUT! Oh, and don't forget the 'Fleet Sales'.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One more thing he said that I found interesting. "The production mirrors will be SUBSTANTIALLY larger."
Although LARGER mirrors may affect MPG, I guess EM believes they can accept it. The P3 had larger mirrors, BUT they blocked the driver's view of the front wheel fenders; so 'positioning' will be critical.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Although LARGER mirrors may affect MPG, I guess EM believes they can accept it. The P3 had larger mirrors, BUT they blocked the driver's view of the front wheel fenders; so 'positioning' will be critical.

The shape of the mirror enclosure and support can also make a big difference aerodynamically. Like many things we will just have to wait and see what they have come up with. :)

Top Bottom