• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Diesel?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind the original XL1 vw 1liter prototype was a diesel and got 317mpg(unconfirmed). I don't know the tested mph however.
At small displacements, there maybe some advantages to a diesel in the area of thermal efficiency. But I won't expect that to be more than 10-15%.

The original XL1 and vehicles my university entered into competitions were very light weight, small frontal area, and good coefficient of drag. Pretty much standard engines de-tuned for the street and of course the right gearing. That's pretty much Elio tech right there.

Newworld

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're forgetting how Europe taxes gasoline more than diesel, where here it's opposite. And diesel powerplants (owned a 2002 Jetta Tdi and a a 99.5 Jetta Tdi, myself) may have better FUEL economy, but worse COST OF OWNERSHIP.

There was a golden age of diesel passenger cars in North America from 2001-2007, but it has been legislated and priced out of existence. :(

Europeans are not an issue, nor are their taxes: false argument and completely irrelevant. I suggest the diesel OPTION the issue/possibility logically. Golden age of diesel??? Your info needs Mercedes Benz response. If my math serves me correctly you stopped diesel comprehension about 12-14 years ago. That logic is okay for political nitwits, but in the automotive area, it is archaic.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Europeans are not an issue, nor are their taxes: false argument and completely irrelevant. I suggest the diesel OPTION the issue/possibility logically. Golden age of diesel??? Your info needs Mercedes Benz response. If my math serves me correctly you stopped diesel comprehension about 12-14 years ago. That logic is okay for political nitwits, but in the automotive area, it is archaic.
I suspect you have some vested interest in diesel technology. Why else would you be trying so hard to convince us Elio is wrong and you are right. :-) Z

Newworld

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong on both suspicions. I respect your dislike of a diesel engine. You have that right. I just like diesel engines and would pay more to get one in the Elio, even if I am in the minority. BTW, I've only suggested the idea I have NEVER said Elio is wrong. So don't put words in my mouth. I believe this is a forum to expose ideas, not dogma.

Newworld

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned rigs with diesel engines, 4-cycle gasoline engines, 2-cycle gasoline engines, and one gasoline engine modified to run off of propane .... all have had advantages and disadvantages .... none are perfect .... I wouldn't want a truck like the one shown by this post with a gasoline powered motor .... I wouldn't want a diesel powered Elio .... could an Elio get better mileage with a diesel, most probably .... 200 mpg, I seriously doubt it .... as others have noted, the additional cost of the motor, additional cost per gallon of diesel fuel, its much easier to find a mechanic that can work on a gasoline motor than it is to find one that can work on a diesel

Jim
a great reason to never get a diesel.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're forgetting how Europe taxes gasoline more than diesel, where here it's opposite. And diesel powerplants (owned a 2002 Jetta Tdi and a a 99.5 Jetta Tdi, myself) may have better FUEL economy, but worse COST OF OWNERSHIP.

There was a golden age of diesel passenger cars in North America from 2001-2007, but it has been legislated and priced out of existence. :(

The above two reasons are the ONLY useful points in this argument.
1. The legislation makes small diesels cost prohibitive.
2. Companies offered them and the option was not cost effective.

If the companies can't make money, it won't be offered.

It never hurts to have a pipe dream.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
US tree huggers hate diesel. There is nothing you can do to change their minds they are a cult. For the most part diesel is dead in the US market for the near future. They have tried to ban them ,when that failed they added so many restriction on them they are hardly worth using.
Diesel makes sense just an eample the worthless smart car 40 mpg at best with 91 octane fuel the same car with a diesel gets 62 mpg but you can not have one in the US.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
some of us can remember back to diesel being 7 cents a gallon and gasoline was 19 to 23 cents a gallon in the '60s. if u look at a cracking tower diagram that the oil refining plants run when processing crude, diesel is created at a lower temp than gasoline and at one time was a by-product of distilling gasoline and the other lighter fuels. pound for pound, diesel contains more btu's than gasoline. my, my, how things have changed. at some point, the tree hugger movement will implode!

Top Bottom