• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Altc Designs

Do you like this first design?

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So what sort of a three wheeler would work in racing? Firstly, I would keep front wheel drive, just because that needs this kind of attention. And there is some opportunity about being halfway from motorcycle to car.
So I thought to allow the driver to shift his seating position in a turn, well mainly his behind.
Here's the thought..
Photo_071406_002a_Small.JPG

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A nice idea, but I could barely see the fender skirts in normal driving position + the fenders are one of the most likely parts to be replaced.

What is the point of a V shaped hull? The less air between the Elio and the road the higher the MPG. Are you planning on making the Elio IED resistant?
Could use reactive armor.
Only problem is getting it to land softly from an altitude of 500 feet.:rolleyes::eek::oops::confused:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So what sort of a three wheeler would work in racing? Firstly, I would keep front wheel drive, just because that needs this kind of attention. And there is some opportunity about being halfway from motorcycle to car.
So I thought to allow the driver to shift his seating position in a turn, well mainly his behind.
Here's the thought..
View attachment 1761
I used to drag race. I would use three wheel hub motors with just enough battery to get me through the quarter mile. Lower the roof which would require me to lay on my stomach.
Can anyone calculate what I would turn. Total weight, 900 to 1K.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to drag race. I would use three wheel hub motors with just enough battery to get me through the quarter mile. Lower the roof which would require me to lay on my stomach.
Can anyone calculate what I would turn. Total weight, 900 to 1K.

Depends on the HP you were making.

Here is a calculator that works real close.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If one motor was 25 hp would that be 75 hp total?
When you put an ICE drive on each motor they can 'fight' each other unless perfectly matched at all throttle settings, (and you still get pulsing)
but with electrics things are much more 'elastic' such that all the HP is available so long as you have enough battery amps.

So yes, 3x whatever each motor is. In use the front will break traction loose easier, so you would generally put a bigger motor on the back or have some kind of traction sensing. There is just a little automatic sensing since the motor will draw less current when spinning wheels, but also you normally need to limit current and RPM so the motor doesn't over-rev, very very bad to overrev a DC motor. How much it can over-rev depends on the motor and the voltage applied. If you must use the same motor all around, then put two in back (two to one wheel) and two in front (one each wheel).

Keep in mind that usually you are given the continuous rating of a motor, but the peak(rated for anywhere from 5min to 30min) can be up to 5x of the continuous rating. This is all based on heat buildup.

So typically a 20hp DC motor might be good for normal driving in say a compact car, because that's what the car needs on flat land driving, for a few minutes you can get 100hp out of it so you can accelerate or climb a small hill.
When more cooling is added to the motor like forced air etc, the peak and the continuous HP ratings go up. The efficiency is less impacted with liquid cooling vs air cooled.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the back will be large enough for a large pizza box.
It's about 14in wide up on that deck near the back. So medium pizza sized, but deep enough for two stacks. Maybe it's wider near the front of the deck. But the back seat is perfect since there is never a passenger when they deliver pizzas.
The viability all depends on how many pizzas are delivered in one delivery mission. I suspect a stack 40in tall will fit most requirements.

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's about 14in wide up on that deck near the back. So medium pizza sized, but deep enough for two stacks. Maybe it's wider near the front of the deck. But the back seat is perfect since there is never a passenger when they deliver pizzas.
The viability all depends on how many pizzas are delivered in one delivery mission. I suspect a stack 40in tall will fit most requirements.

So I wonder how Dominos or Pizza Hut will customize their paint jobs?

Top Bottom