• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Am I The Only Person Who Likes The Elgin Dash?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would add a temp gauge on the left side that's a mirror image of the fuel gauge. It would add symmetry to the design as well as function. I don't think most of the other gauges would have any diagnostic benefit over an idiot light anyway.
Agreed, the lack of temp gauge to visually mirror the fuel gauge seems like an obvious ommission, I really wish/hope they think about adding it in.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to pay for two gauge clusters. Perhaps the gauges can be modified to be like they originally were. (They are modification of traditional needle type gauges.) It would require a number back ground and a rotating needle. I fear the rotating number wheel that is standard, may be difficult to removed from the small shaft it mounts on, without damaging the movement. You know there would be a market for a modification kit.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe someone already answered this. If so, sorry. Does anyone know of another car, boat, airplane, weenie mobile or whatever, that uses the Elgin dash as standard equipment?

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This gauge implementation seems like it adds risk to the driving experience. Our eyes will have to linger longer on these gauges during our scan - front, mirrors, front, gauges, still gauges, still gauges, front, etc.

Unfortunately, I find myself waiting for the crash statistics.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using the "squeaky wheel" theory, I figure the more we complain about the Elgin dash the better the chances it will be abandoned.

I've tried to figure why EM would opt for such a lame product. I know, I've heard the theories and and just don't buy it. I have my own theory as to what's really going on. As with most business decisions it comes down to money. I suspect the makers of the Elgin went out on a limb to manufacture a large number of units thinking they could sell them. Then, they found that no one really wanted them and they were stuck with a plant and inventory and no buyers. Along comes EM, a new auto maker looking for ready made parts and committed to keeping costs down. So, the Elgin people made EM an offer they couldn't refuse. I would love to know what EM is going to pay for them...

Now EM has an instrument package at a cheap price. But wait, it gets even better. Not only is the cost of the unit a money saver, but the cost of labor to install it is too. Instead of having to install and connect several different instruments now they only have to install one self contained unit and plug it in. Quick, easy, labor saving and, most important, money saving.

So what if most people don't like it, it's just a dash and not going to be a deal breaker. Those that want an Elio will buy one anyway and who cares if they complain about the dash, they'll get used to it....

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Instead of having to install and connect several different instruments now they only have to install one self contained unit and plug it in. Quick, easy, labor saving and, most important, money saving.

That is how most instrument clusters in new cars are these days, one self contained unit with a single plug. I pulled one out of a friend's Smart over the weekend to install a cruise control, the instrument cluster on my old Rio worked the same.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to pay for two gauge clusters. Perhaps the gauges can be modified to be like they originally were. (They are modification of traditional needle type gauges.) It would require a number back ground and a rotating needle. I fear the rotating number wheel that is standard, may be difficult to removed from the small shaft it mounts on, without damaging the movement. You know there would be a market for a modification kit.

I think that is an outstanding idea. You should do it! Please keep us informed. I would be amazed if you could get "up and running" for under $10k. You should reach the "break even" point just from the haters on this site!
Let's see now...ten people, @ $1K per person.....The "other ten haters" (nationwide) will be pure profit! :caked: :peep:

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using the "squeaky wheel" theory, I figure the more we complain about the Elgin dash the better the chances it will be abandoned.

I've tried to figure why EM would opt for such a lame product. I know, I've heard the theories and and just don't buy it. I have my own theory as to what's really going on. As with most business decisions it comes down to money. I suspect the makers of the Elgin went out on a limb to manufacture a large number of units thinking they could sell them. Then, they found that no one really wanted them and they were stuck with a plant and inventory and no buyers. Along comes EM, a new auto maker looking for ready made parts and committed to keeping costs down. So, the Elgin people made EM an offer they couldn't refuse. I would love to know what EM is going to pay for them...

Now EM has an instrument package at a cheap price. But wait, it gets even better. Not only is the cost of the unit a money saver, but the cost of labor to install it is too. Instead of having to install and connect several different instruments now they only have to install one self contained unit and plug it in. Quick, easy, labor saving and, most important, money saving.

So what if most people don't like it, it's just a dash and not going to be a deal breaker. Those that want an Elio will buy one anyway and who cares if they complain about the dash, they'll get used to it....

So I don't have to repeat myself, post #238 applies to you ,too. :boink::becky:

Top Bottom