• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually very hot weather with full gear on I find to be more of an issue than cold rain.
You are correct. There was one day when it was 118 (F) here, and I got stuck in traffic. The motorcycle read 238 (F) on the temperature gauge and I was in full gear (which was always my personal requirement). That day, I "threw in the towel" got off the highway, went to a bar, re-hydrated, then went home (once traffic subsided).

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if I would have called myself an "average commuter" (when I worked), but I purposely commuted to work on a motorcycle. This allowed me to be alone and use the HOV Lanes (in my state) and actually make it to work in a timely manner.

I haven't researched laws in other states, but if we make the assumption they are similar, do you think demand would increase for an enclosed ICE 3-wheel commuter vehicle (autocycle)?? I mean, as long as they fall under the classification of a motorcycle and commuters could use them in an HOV lane, then I could see a lot of people purchasing them for the sole purpose of commuting. These vehicles would be enclosed and climate controlled, which (I think) is the main reason more people don't commute to work on motorcycles.
I think the main reason more people don’t own motorcycles is safety, followed by the high price point for three wheels, enclosure, and climate control. I’m included in that demographic. However, I felt “reasonably safe“ test driving the Arcimoto FUV, but cancelled my order when they couldn’t deliver on their promised half and full doors. Glad I did, or I’d own a vehicle with engineering/reliabilty issues and nno access to service or parts that is likely going out of business. Oddly, many FUV owners love the ride, but didn’t recognize or think of the FUV 3 wheeler with it’s seat belts and partial enclosure, as a motorcycle classified vehicle. I require a four wheeler AWD in my snow belt climate, but wanted a FUN to drive three wheeler as an “&” vehicle for around town short commutes and errands. No way we are going to see a fully enclosed, climate controlled, five star safety rated three wheeler with local sales and servicing dealerships on the market for under $20K………more than the average commuter demographic will pay for 3 wheels.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
five star safety
Personally, I don't need a five star safety rating, nor is it something I research when purchasing any vehicle.

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I felt safer on my motorcycle than I did in my car. I never listened to music or had any other distractions when I rode/commuted (as opposed to driving my car). With nothing else to do, I listened to my engine and listened for changes around me. I was more aware of the other drivers around me and always gave myself an "out" in case someone tried to change lanes too close. Again, something I didn't do when driving/commuting in a car.

I still ride my sportbike for fun (now and then) and if I had to go back to work, would have no issue with commuting on it.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I don't need a five star safety rating, nor is it something I research when purchasing any vehicle.

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I felt safer on my motorcycle than I did in my car. I never listened to music or had any other distractions when I rode/commuted (as opposed to driving my car). With nothing else to do, I listened to my engine and listened for changes around me. I was more aware of the other drivers around me and always gave myself an "out" in case someone tried to change lanes too close. Again, something I didn't do when driving/commuting in a car.

I still ride my sportbike for fun (now and then) and if I had to go back to work, would have no issue with commuting on it.
Honestly, most people do not care. Since the FUV (just like every other three wheeler) does not have to follow crash testing like a car does, then it's a moot point. People just accept that they just will not be like a car. This is the reason for 3 wheels. You circumvent the rules that apply to cars. The main reason for this is if companies like Elio would have started selling 250K per year (the original business plan) then I would expect that the US would change their rules and Elio to be heading that front as their autocycle was to have a 5 star car crash rating. If you are going after the motorcycle crowd, then expect motorcycle numbers when it comes to sales.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, most people do not care. Since the FUV (just like every other three wheeler) does not have to follow crash testing like a car does, then it's a moot point. People just accept that they just will not be like a car. This is the reason for 3 wheels. You circumvent the rules that apply to cars. The main reason for this is if companies like Elio would have started selling 250K per year (the original business plan) then I would expect that the US would change their rules and Elio to be heading that front as their autocycle was to have a 5 star car crash rating. If you are going after the motorcycle crowd, then expect motorcycle numbers when it comes to sales.
If a three wheeler startup company is focusing on the motorcycle crowd….demand will be low and limited production numbers means a much higher MSRP than the average non-biker mentality will spend on 3 wheels. They will choose to buy an affordable car. Honestly, the non-motorcycle demographic does care about safety, however, a few may waive that concern if the vehicle is affordable, high mpg, has a seatbelt, upper frame assembly/full enclosure, and fun to ride/drive.They are likely not counting the number of wheels, providing it doesn’t have a kickstand. Hard core bikers know the rules of the road, the non-motorcycle demographic doesn’t have a clue about safe riding practices, particularly when the motorcycle endorsement is waved

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree, price is king, remember the Yugo, no one even came close to pretending that was safe..

$3990, and 140,000 cars sold in the USA.
My uncle had one and it was a junker. It seemed like it started rusting immediately no matter if it was clear and sunny out. He had it for a few years but sold it to some guy that was buying them up, stripping them down and selling the parts (since you couldn't buy parts for them any more). He even bought out the dealer parts departments.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully, if there is three wheeler startup company that crosses the production finish line with proven pre-order market demand for their vehicle, they aren’t following Yugo’s ‘s business model. It seems the overall appeal of a three wheeler is similar to the Yugo’s marketing strategy: Extremely basic, cheap/affordable, and its primary purpose functional transportation. You get what you pay for.

Top Bottom