• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Customizing....music/paint/wheels/seats/performance

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since (GM) Elio has the room I think this would be a great opportunity for a business to go in next to Elio and customize your Elio before you pick it up. Like the Van people do and did big time back in the 70's.

Anyone can have Stock but for some that's not enough.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since (GM) Elio has the room I think this would be a great opportunity for a business to go in next to Elio and customize your Elio before you pick it up. Like the Van people do and did big time back in the 70's. Anyone can have Stock but for some that's not enough.

understood and agree .... but, I suspect the rent for space in that building would require a bunch of business just to break even .... if such a custom shop could setup near the factory in a lower rent district, they might be able to do something .... it would be hard for me to spending thousands on a paint job for an inexpensive vehicle

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
understood and agree .... but, I suspect the rent for space in that building would require a bunch of business just to break even .... if such a custom shop could setup near the factory in a lower rent district, they might be able to do something .... it would be hard for me to spending thousands on a paint job for an inexpensive vehicle

Jim
Actually the plant lease is not bad at all. You can read it on the Caddo Parish web site and it is $300K per year for the first 3 years and $725K per year after that for the next 22 years.

We know EM is only leasing 1.5 million sq ft out of 4.1 million total so that leaves about 2.5 million square feet.

Even if IRG's total cost for running the property is $1.25 million including rent and misc costs this means that their break even point on the remaining 2.5 million square feet is only an average of $0.5 per square foot per year.

This is why IRG is willing to do this deal as they will make money no matter what happens with EM.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Customizing question, the Elio is seems will come with a pretty standard steel wheels, opinions please, as to whether it might be worth the weight savings to change to something else (us not Elio) that is much lighter? I know it won't be very visible, but how much weight could be saved?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Customizing question, the Elio is seems will come with a pretty standard steel wheels, opinions please, as to whether it might be worth the weight savings to change to something else (us not Elio) that is much lighter? I know it won't be very visible, but how much weight could be saved?

having no inside knowledge, my bet is EM will choose/has chosen the rims based on the same concepts it is following with the rest of the vehicle .... since they can't be seen with the OEM fender-skirts in place, looks doesn't enter the equation .... the major factors that are in control are cost and weight with a eye cast towards safety

Jim

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
having no inside knowledge, my bet is EM will choose/has chosen the rims based on the same concepts it is following with the rest of the vehicle .... since they can't be seen with the OEM fender-skirts in place, looks doesn't enter the equation .... the major factors that are in control are cost and weight with a eye cast towards safety

Jim

My question is what are the weight savings if WE change the wheels, I know Elio is not going to do this.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My question is what are the weight savings if WE change the wheels, I know Elio is not going to do this.

I have no way of knowing .... if it is possible to spend more and get lighter, they may not go that route due to the "spend more" aspect .... I really like the P3 wheels and fenders .... down the road, I may well buy a set of P3 fenders and some good looking rims .... at such times, I won't be driving the Elio with the goal of obtaining maximum mileage

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio wheels are small probably 4 or 4.5 wide by 15. With wheels this small I really don't think the weight savings (if any) will be enough to justify the expense of replacing the plain black steel wheels with those snappy alloy wheels. I love the look of nice aluminum wheels but realistically the steel wheels are tougher. Potholes can easily bend or crack alloy wheels. A steel wheel can be easily straightened, mount a new tire and your on your way. Not so with an alloy wheel with a big crack or even a big chunk missing.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio wheels are small probably 4 or 4.5 wide by 15. With wheels this small I really don't think the weight savings (if any) will be enough to justify the expense of replacing the plain black steel wheels with those snappy alloy wheels. I love the look of nice aluminum wheels but realistically the steel wheels are tougher. Potholes can easily bend or crack alloy wheels. A steel wheel can be easily straightened, mount a new tire and your on your way. Not so with an alloy wheel with a big crack or even a big chunk missing.
Steel wheels with mooncaps is my route :)

Top Bottom