• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eastern Catalytic - Exhaust And Trailer Hitch

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
randel26.jpg

VW's have had these for years, the back wheel is a caster swivel setup, don't think this would work well on the Elio though.

Attachments

• DSC05253.1080.jpg
    DSC05253.1080.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 221

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was my thought too, but because of the location of the original frame, the interior wouldn't be as roomy as the exterior suggests. Basically, you'd have frame rails cutting the trunk space in half :/
That's true. leaving the original "hatch" opening would also limit the usability.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally plan to modify the passenger seat area to accommodate more cargo. Remove the back seat itself, then put a storage box in the foot well with a false floor across the seat landing to make the whole area level. If I still need more room than that or want to take a passenger, that's what my truck is for.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or, it could just be built that way to start with....

"Could" but probably won't be changed at this point. There's going to be a bunch of things that different people want to change or customize. Personally, I plan on making a custom receiver hitch, and a (narrowed) hitch platform. On the platform I will attach a custom (probably fiberglass) lockable box, that is made to match the shape and style of the Elio. maybe even put some factory taillights and license plate mount. The dimensions being (roughly) 2' wide x 2' high x 1.5' deep would provide an additional 6 cubic feet!...Not for "heavy" stuff, but for "bulky" stuff. And for "bigger things, a "one wheel" suspension trailer. This will be a "flat platform" (versatile) that could easily haul a dozen 8' long 2x4's, or a 2' wide "rooftop" carrier filled with luggage or camping gear. Could make it "tilt" into turns...

I know, some are going to say "your trying to use it like a truck!" No, just versatile.

Top Bottom