• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio May Be Closer Than You Think. Or Not.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As the owner of an EV I'd love to see an electric Elio but there is nowhere to put enough batteries in Elio to make it feasible with current battery technology. Not to mention keeping 70% of the weight over the front wheels like the current design with a gas engine. I would love to see Arcimoto succeed but I am very skeptical that they will simply due to cost. I don't see Elio making that same mistake. Maybe with Elio 2.0 or 3.0 five to ten years from now it might work but not anytime soon. Besides Elio really needs to focus on getting to production before they run out of money or are no longer able to find more investors and go bankrupt.

If the EvElio reverted to single occupancy there would likely be enough room (volumetrically) to get a reasonable range (200+ miles). Add in a motor for the rear wheel (3-wheel drive!) and I'd sign up right now.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Considering a Zero Motorcycle can get nearly 200 miles on a charge, I think an EVElio could be manufactured with current technology that could also attain such a range.

That said, as much as I love my Leaf and fully intend to upgrade to a 200+ mile EV in the future, I'd much rather have a 650+ mile Elio for long distance trips and an EV for around town/daily/family driving.
And I seriously doubt I'll even need 200 miles of range for the daily driver, but it offers a nice buffer for range needs when you consider 35% battery degredation over a 10-year span. Our family could still comfortably drive to and from all the places we want to with 130 miles of range.

...but a 2.6-second 0-60mph in a rocket like the Elio would be something!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thread necromancy; the last post in this thread was December of 2014 (!)

The EV debate is still a contentious one around here, with supporters and detractors unwilling to give up either position. For the most part, we avoid the subject nowadays, as it inevitably brings out strong emotions and derails threads.

I've no doubt that somebody will convert an Elio to electric, but I have doubts that EM would be interested in doing any such thing when Arcimoto is already on the cusp of releasing their electric two-seat/three-wheel commuter.
Well, IMHO, the Acrimoto is as close to the Tesla as it is to the Elio. i.e not the same market. However, if it succeeds, just lends support to the creation of an electric Elio. . . (IMHO)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As the owner of an EV I'd love to see an electric Elio but there is nowhere to put enough batteries in Elio to make it feasible with current battery technology. Not to mention keeping 70% of the weight over the front wheels like the current design with a gas engine. I would love to see Arcimoto succeed but I am very skeptical that they will simply due to cost. I don't see Elio making that same mistake. Maybe with Elio 2.0 or 3.0 five to ten years from now it might work but not anytime soon. Besides Elio really needs to focus on getting to production before they run out of money or are no longer able to find more investors and go bankrupt.
If any of the concept vehicle business models succeed it will be the A Team's. Start small and scale Production. They fund, design, engineer, fabricate parts, build, market and respond usually same day to reservationist Facebook questions. They have a wide range of in house talent. Arcimoto is focused on getting to production. It seems that most of the limited funding they have has gone to development not marketing. I don't hear anything about debt and funding issues. I hear mention of an 'angle investor' periodically. Most importantly they currently have ride and drive events scheduled and currently building the next set of 6 SRKs........prior to building the Alphas.

Good news if both the SRK and/or the Elio meets your needs. If it doesn't and you are strictly an Elio fan the SRK isn't relevant.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Considering a Zero Motorcycle can get nearly 200 miles on a charge, I think an EVElio could be manufactured with current technology that could also attain such a range.

That said, as much as I love my Leaf and fully intend to upgrade to a 200+ mile EV in the future, I'd much rather have a 650+ mile Elio for long distance trips and an EV for around town/daily/family driving.
And I seriously doubt I'll even need 200 miles of range for the daily driver, but it offers a nice buffer for range needs when you consider 35% battery degredation over a 10-year span. Our family could still comfortably drive to and from all the places we want to with 130 miles of range.

...but a 2.6-second 0-60mph in a rocket like the Elio would be something!
Rocket like performance is the primary reason for my interest in EVs.

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The arcimoto looks like a joke at almost twice the price. $11,900 base. No safety features at all relative to ELIO. Electric, turbo, all around the corner for Elio Motors. But first a new ICE with many applications in industrial and marine uses. Do not believe the hype that the slingshot, twice as much as arcimoto, and the rest of the alternative 3 wheeled mediocrity will meet the exponential growth awaiting ELIO!

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The arcimoto looks like a joke at almost twice the price. $11,900 base. No safety features at all relative to ELIO. Electric, turbo, all around the corner for Elio Motors. But first a new ICE with many applications in industrial and marine uses. Do not believe the hype that the slingshot, twice as much as arcimoto, and the rest of the alternative 3 wheeled mediocrity will meet the exponential growth awaiting ELIO!
SD...I believe you are right :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These industry professionals and I disagree with your general statement regarding the SRK. These critics gave the SRK rave reviews on styling, performance, and handling after actual test rides.
image.jpeg

Regarding motorcycle safety features it may likely be the safest MC on the road in the near future. It will be interesting to compare the actual safety testing results after both the Elio and SRK are finally tested.
image.jpeg

The affordable SRK everyday electric will meet the needs of many commuters........NO JOKE! Paul Elio quote live from the Arcimoto display at the NY Auto Show, "Go three wheels!" I support and appreciate them all because the more options we have as consumers the stronger the market for three wheelers. They are not competing for and or appealing to the same market demographic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom