• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elgin Gas And Temp Gauges

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have a traditional analog needle on dial gauge for speed and RPM. At the bottom of the traditional RPM gauge, have an elgin style gauge showing the water temperature. It can be a rotating wheel displaying numbers through a window. At the bottom of the traditional speed gauge, have another elgin style gauge displaying the amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank.

Thus, two elgin style gauges are still displayed, but for less critical functions.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can always voice your disappointment with someone at the company. I did. It hasn't changed the non-functional instrument cluster, but it made me feel a little better. One way or another, there will be a replacement. Queue the George Michael or Limp Bizkit.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a traditional analog needle on dial gauge for speed and RPM. At the bottom of the traditional RPM gauge, have an elgin style gauge showing the water temperature. It can be a rotating wheel displaying numbers through a window. At the bottom of the traditional speed gauge, have another elgin style gauge displaying the amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank.
Thus, two elgin style gauges are still displayed, but for less critical functions.
If it measures out correctly, you're just going to love the replacement I have found for it.
And by popular demand, it is all analog "pointer" type gauges.

But make sure to allow for it in your budget, because it's not cheap.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what it's going to be like to swap out.
I have an idea it's not going to be a little 30 minute job; probably more like a full day.
Besides swapping out the gauges, it does have to be hooked up.
There is a new sender for the fuel tank, oil pressure sender, a temp sender and the tag into the ignition for the Tachometer.

I know I can handle doing the install; I wonder how it's going to be for others to either do it themselves, or finding someone to do it for them.
I'm guessing a shop that does stereo and alarm systems would be the best place to get it done.

When I do mine, I will do a video, and write out instructions for the install.
It would be wonderful if it was just a simple "undo these 4 screws, take it out, unplug the connector, and put it back in"
Does YouTube have an R rated area to post things? The language might be a bit "colorful".

But this will be the same with any replacements people try; it's not a novice project.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember, "The first one is always the hardest and longest to install".
(Always plan ahead)
I already expect it to; I'm just, in a way, trying to prep others to the fact, even though this might fit perfectly, it's still a lot of work.
And anyone that thinks otherwise is going to be very frustrated.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something somewhere early on before I really started paying attention to Elio. Why does it seem that options on the dash are not going to be available from the factory? In most every press release and speech about EPlus Paul really pushes the idea that the car will have options beyond what any other car dealer/manufacturer offers. If we'll truly have the "Mass Personalization Program" that Elio is advertising why wouldn't choices in the dash board be part of it?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something somewhere early on before I really started paying attention to Elio. Why does it seem that options on the dash are not going to be available from the factory? In most every press release and speech about EPlus Paul really pushes the idea that the car will have options beyond what any other car dealer/manufacturer offers. If we'll truly have the "Mass Personalization Program" that Elio is advertising why wouldn't choices in the dash board be part of it?
The dash is a moot point at EM, you are getting the Elgin dash, period, end of discussion.
The Elgin dash is a tribute from Paul to his dad; his dad wore an Elgin watch when Paul was growing up, and it reminds him of happy times in his life.

That's why there are no options for the dash; it's Paul's car, his design, his company. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Top Bottom