• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am actually in the beginning stages of planning a product which will do this and which hopefully I can make available to all Elio Owners. I don't know yet exactly what something like this would cost however I have had a preliminary discussion with EM about this and they are willing to provide documentation once I get my ducks in a row and jump some hurdles (NDA...) so we will see what play over the next year or so.

For those who do not know EM has told us that the vehicle will have an OBD-II port which will work with tools to deliver diagnostic fault codes and such however it will not support the streaming of live data from various sensors which is common in many vehicles today. From what I can find the OBD-II data streaming component is not even required by law in cars so even without this it would appear that EM is meeting the legal standard for cars even if they are actually building a motorcycle.

The sensors are in the vehicle already and are streaming this data however the ECU/PCM they are using is very inexpensive, only currently used in developing countries, and is not designed to host this information.

Thanks for the response. Have seen several HUD's that will give me what I want. If your venture come's to fruition I would be a prospect.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is the P3 style dashboard which is definitely a different shape from the P4 style. You can see it in this compilation I made of all the dashes beginning with the P2 on top.

View attachment 3880

nicely arranged .... seeing them all together, I'd be really happy with the P3 or P4

Jim

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is the P3 style dashboard which is definitely a different shape from the P4 style. You can see it in this compilation I made of all the dashes beginning with the P2 on top.

View attachment 3880
Wow! Thanks for the pics! I still prefer the second dash from the top, with the smaller "pod" for the instrument cluster. Not wild about the wide cowl over the gauges in the current incarnation.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think curved lines (P2-3 dash) tend to have more universal eye appeal than straight lines (P4 dash). Perhaps the top of the dash had to be lowered and squared of to fit the space in the finalized production specs to remain lower than the top of steering wheel.........engineering requirement. The design/style is still ok and remains functional. Also, a better compliment to the elongated Elgin.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally like the bottom one/P5. If the Elio is to be a new kind of car, the dash needs to reflect that. I don't want a dash/instrument pod that is patterned after a years old import. As long as it's not going to cost a boat load of money, of course!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 3880

One thing to keep in mind in the P3 and P4 photos is that EM knew those gauge clusters were borrowed from another car so these give insight into what EM was thinking for the overall dash design but not for the gauge cluster.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally like the bottom one/P5. If the Elio is to be a new kind of car, the dash needs to reflect that. I don't want a dash/instrument pod that is patterned after a years old import. As long as it's not going to cost a boat load of money, of course!
.......rather patterned after an old Elgin watch. lol I'm liking it even more and more each day and by production time should love it.

Top Bottom