• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Insurance - Cost. - General Discussion And / Or Specifically Advanced Coverages.

Trucker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
My agent at Allstate told me they will not have any rate information till 60-90 days before the Elio starts to be produced, until there is a physical product being built the insurance companies will not bother.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Three wheeled vehicles such as the Elio are not new. Many were produced in the 30's as "cyclecars". They had two wheels in the front, and one in the rear. It was basically a motorcycle with a wider frame, seat and enclosed body with a soft top. Cyclecar could become a new niche between a motorcycle and a car.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been discussed before (probably has!) but will the Elio car be insured as a motorcycle and licensed in kind? The cost of insurance is my greatest concern with this vehicle.

As it currently has a motorcycle VIN it is expected that insurers will insure the Elio as a motorcycle however this also up to the individual insurance companies. As has been written this could change if/when legislation is passed creating an autocycle category but then again the insurance carriers have some leeway here. No matter what vehicle category the Elio is in it will be inexpensive to insure as it is a very inexpensive and light weight vehicle with safety features comparable to many cars.

Elio Motors has told us that in the months prior to production they will prepare a packet with the standard information which insurance companies request from vehicle manufacturers and make this available to the insurance companies. Until this happens I would not even bother contacting any insurance companies for quotes as even if they are available they are likely not very accurate without all the information needed to make the actuarial decisions.

As far as I know all states currently plan to tag and plate the Elio as a motorcycle or autocycle which is currently technically a motorcycle sub-category. Elio Motors has had very good results with state legislatures having the requirement to have a motorcycle license and helmet removed. It appears that all the helmet requirement states will be resolved this year as well as most of the motorcycle license states. There may be a few stragglers however EM will likely be able to knock those out when most state legislatures meet again next spring.

Three wheeled vehicles such as the Elio are not new. Many were produced in the 30's as "cyclecars". They had two wheels in the front, and one in the rear. It was basically a motorcycle with a wider frame, seat and enclosed body with a soft top. Cyclecar could become a new niche between a motorcycle and a car.

The current term being used for Elio type vehicle with three wheels and automotive controls is 'autocycle'. A number of states already had this category of vehicle and EM has worked with state legislatures to create it in others in which EM needed legal changes. There was even a bill introduced recently in the U.S. Senate to create such a category at the federal level as currently nearly all motorized vehicles with less than four wheels are all thrown in together as motorcycles regardless of any other attributes.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cost to insure a motorcycle of any type or sized is based on.
1. Zip code
2. Age
3. driving history
4. The day you get a quote.
5. The bike.
I forgot number 6. Credit score
Mine is not bad for both bikes.

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As it currently has a motorcycle VIN it is expected that insurers will insure the Elio as a motorcycle however this also up to the individual insurance companies. As has been written this could change if/when legislation is passed creating an autocycle category but then again the insurance carriers have some leeway here. No matter what vehicle category the Elio is in it will be inexpensive to insure as it is a very inexpensive and light weight vehicle with safety features comparable to many cars.

Elio Motors has told us that in the months prior to production they will prepare a packet with the standard information which insurance companies request from vehicle manufacturers and make this available to the insurance companies. Until this happens I would not even bother contacting any insurance companies for quotes as even if they are available they are likely not very accurate without all the information needed to make the actuarial decisions.

As far as I know all states currently plan to tag and plate the Elio as a motorcycle or autocycle which is currently technically a motorcycle sub-category. Elio Motors has had very good results with state legislatures having the requirement to have a motorcycle license and helmet removed. It appears that all the helmet requirement states will be resolved this year as well as most of the motorcycle license states. There may be a few stragglers however EM will likely be able to knock those out when most state legislatures meet again next spring.

The current term being used for Elio type vehicle with three wheels and automotive controls is 'autocycle'. A number of states already had this category of vehicle and EM has worked with state legislatures to create it in others in which EM needed legal changes. There was even a bill introduced recently in the U.S. Senate to create such a category at the federal level as currently nearly all motorized vehicles with less than four wheels are all thrown in together as motorcycles regardless of any other attributes.
My agent at Libery Mutual here in Maine already told me they would insure it as a motorcycle for all 12 months and the passenger is covered too. :cool:

robert109

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

My agent at Libery Mutual here in Maine already told me they would insure it as a motorcycle for all 12 months and the passenger is covered too. :cool:
Hello all. I have owned a 3 wheeled electric car/motorcycle in Illinois for 11 years. State Farm has insured it for a very low cost of around $185 a year. The vehicle is called the "gizmo". So I fully know from experience, to insure my Elio will be the same cost, maybe slightly higher due to the higher operating speed the Elio can achieve. I have already contacted my agent and they agree.

My Gizmo footage:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow.

Not a whole lot of crumple zone on the front of the Gizmo is there?

Though I should talk with a 650 V-star as an avitar.

Nice tires though.

Top Bottom