• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Heavily Advertised RV Show

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At one point, I started talking to my girlfriend about our long distance travels, overnight accommodations and the different options that might work.

My first suggestion was a tent under the open stars... her response "Nope... hotel or motel, otherwise I'm staying home"

My second attempt was a Tear Drop style camper pulled behind my work truck... her response "Nope... hotel or motel, otherwise I'm staying home"

My third attempt was a slide in camper into the bed of my work truck... her response "Nope... hotel or motel, otherwise I'm staying home"

My fourth attempt was a larger fifth wheel camper (pulled by my work truck) with running water and gray/black tanks... her response "Nope... hotel or motel, otherwise I'm staying home"

My final attempt was we travel in a small vehicle (econo-box car or BEX mongrel) and stay in a hotel or motel... her response "OK... sounds good."
Keeper!

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here’s how I break it down, my last rv I had from 2007-2023 it was a 20’ dutchmen travel trailer I bought that was a 2004 model I paid 7,000$ for. I spent over 300 nights on many hunts and adventures then sold it for 3,000$ with a roof leak and needing a new floor. I never paid for a campground and stayed primarily on forest and blm land the only time I went to a campground was when my parents were campground hosts and gave me a free spot. That breaks down to 13.3$ a night add 2 dollars for generator gas and an average of 15$ a night including cost of the rv, I did have to buy a tire or two so maybe like 16$ a night. I had a couple kids 3&4 years ago and needed something bigger. So in 2023 I was needing a trailer with bunk beds I found a used fema trailer (gsaauctions.gov)that was a year old, 26’ with bunk beds and looked like it was used one time I spent Under $9,000 on it and when the guy at fema opened the door it smelled new, pulled it from Louisiana to utah and re sealed the roof and put a pile of screws and put a half days labor into it fixing in the walls that were glued on. Not the nicest or best built but it’s perfect for my family of 4. I can’t wait to take some family vacations and make memories in it as well. My whole point is if you look around, find a good deal have rv parking at your house you can afford an rv on even a small budget. Even a 500$ tear drop RV with a generator with a space heater can be quiet comfortable and warm in comparison to a tent, I know this because when I was 16 years old I would go hunt elk with my buddies, he had a camper I had a truck, parents were trusting in those days and we even brought home an elk that year. So to those on the fence think about a newer used trailer and see if the math works, or rent one for a weekend and see how you like it, camping isn’t for everyone as you have to conserve water, know how to pull a trailer level it up and have a basic understanding of electrical and usually and do a bit of handy man work on trailers especially if it was built during Covid but it can be a great experience unmatched to no other. My $.02

Top Bottom