• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hello... From Across The Atlantic!

Why do you crave for a (Elio) three-wheeler?

• It's new, it's different. Elio deserves support.

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Frugal means of transportation

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Fun vehicle

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Low purchasing price. Count me out when the price doubles.

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Main vehicle for going from A to B

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • I will keep the car I already own

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Reduce carbon footprint

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW! Welcome! Lots of good info and speculation shared over the past couple years if you take the time to browse through the various threads. It is an Elio Owners Forum and not quite as open to opinion or vehicle alternatives as our other shared three wheeler forum sites over the years.

FTRC - Fly The Road Club. Started back in 2007 by a group of tilting three wheeler enthusiasts supporting the development of the VentureOne. The V1 Concept turned to vaporware 4-5 years later. '07 is about the same time I happened across the Elio. A long time ago.

Hm, your remark reminds me of the Moody Blues album title "Days of Future Passed". People here post messages like they already own and drive the Elio. I do think that people in general, including 'Elio owners', are open to suggestions, if these are for the better. IMO, if you want a new vehicle to succeed, it should address as many aspects possible without watering down the whole idea. The three-wheeler can have a healthy future. As a matter of fact, I think it can be and do way more than even Paul Elio has envisaged.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hm, your remark reminds me of the Moody Blues album title "Days of Future Passed". People here post messages like they already own and drive the Elio. I do think that people in general, including 'Elio owners', are open to suggestions, if these are for the better. IMO, if you want a new vehicle to succeed, it should address as many aspects possible without watering down the whole idea. The three-wheeler can have a healthy future. As a matter of fact, I think it can be and do way more than even Paul Elio has envisaged.
The current problem being addressed is choosing which aspects to incorporate in the first production run and which to leave to other future models. The base model is in the final stages and is designed to permit upgrades relating to aspects not addressed with the base or initial options.

This is the time to get the Elio into consumer production and I'm confidant that it will be done in 2017 if the money can be obtained to cover initial startup costs. But I do think it's a make or break year since obligations will be overwhelming without production to bring in revenue.

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current problem being addressed is choosing which aspects to incorporate in the first production run and which to leave to other future models. The base model is in the final stages and is designed to permit upgrades relating to aspects not addressed with the base or initial options.

This is the time to get the Elio into consumer production and I'm confidant that it will be done in 2017 if the money can be obtained to cover initial startup costs. But I do think it's a make or break year since obligations will be overwhelming without production to bring in revenue.

I understand... It's too late for a "let's get it right regarding as many respects possible the very first time"...
That would not only kindle interests with prospective users... but also with investors.

I know for instance about Elio's NHTSA autocycle predicaments.
My suggestion would have been to opt for the (I know) far more expensive to engineer, regular car category, despite Elio's three wheel underpinnings.

“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" Robert F. Kennedy

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the Elio is a good idea.

Rabrandt99

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I crave it for a number of reasons. Just as a BTW: I'm the son of the guy who registered on this site (I turned my Parents onto the Elio), so if my Dad ever logs back in, you'll notice a definite difference in our writing styles ;)

So, to list...

#1: It plain makes more sense to have a tandem seat 3-wheeler to drive rather than a regular 4-wheel car. While the business I co-own with my best friend has us lugging a bunch of media equipment around, most of the times I drive by myself... and I work with a lot of people who live in OKC (I'm based in the Tulsa area), so I tend to log a lot of miles. Something like the Elio, even if it ends up not getting 84 MPG, would make much more economic sense for me. Can drive long periods without having to fill up and if it's just myself, the media equipment I own would fit just fine in the trunk space provided.

#2: Part of the appeal of the Elio is that I see it as a great transitional car from the gasoline infrastructure we have now as we wait for an electric one. Want an electric car, to reduce pollution, but the area you live in doesn't have superchargers/access points? Or you do live in an area with some, but still need something you can travel all over with... but don't necessarily need the space?

The answer is simple in both cases. You get an Elio. Its carbon footprint is less than a regular car anyway and you don't have to worry about the infrastructure. This is why I think the Elio is fine as it is as of right now, because the only reason to make an all-electric one is when the gasoline infrastructure gets phased out of existence, which is still decades away in all probability. Until then, sell this car as a better alternative to traditional gasoline cars and a placeholder/transitional car for the car of the future.

#3: I mentioned up above I co-own a small business with my best friend. His family has always lived lower middle-class and he's never once owned a brand new car. It's always been used cars, going from 'halfway-decent' to downright junkers. I like and appreciate the Elio because it would allow someone like him to finally purchase a (hopefully) great new car... and not have to put money down constantly trying to fix things in it just because it's an old car that shouldn't be on the road. All the excuses he makes to not buy something that's a little more modern (the price, insurance, ETC) wouldn't be an issue with the Elio.

#4: I like that Paul wants to do a direct-sales business plan with the Elio and that he plans on going away with 'bundling' and instead making this car a rolling app. I like that I can buy a bare-bones Elio for $6,800 (or $7,400) if that's all the money I have, but I can come back in to any marshaling center or Pep Boys in a few months (or years) and pay for options that can be installed the same day with very little cost. This forward-thinking program is what sold me on the Elio, after the 84 MPG of course.

So to sum, I support and want to drive the Elio because I honestly think it's a visionary company with a visionary car. I think it has the capacity to push things the direction I want the world to go (such as a much greener economy), will provide jobs and is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" ideas... because why do we drive cars meant for 4 or more people when often times it's just one person? It just makes sense.

So I'm pulling for Elio and really hoping that it comes out in 2017...

Last edited:

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, I crave it for a number of reasons. Just as a BTW: I'm the son of the guy who registered on this site (I turned my Parents onto the Elio), so if my Dad ever logs back in, you'll notice a definite difference in our writing styles ;)

So, to list...

#1: It plain makes more sense to have a tandem seat 3-wheeler to drive rather than a regular 4-wheel car. While the business I co-own with my best friend has us lugging a bunch of media equipment around, most of the times I drive by myself... and I work with a lot of people who live in OKC (I'm based in the Tulsa area), so I tend to log a lot of miles. Something like the Elio, even if it ends up not getting 84 MPG, would make much more economic sense for me. Can drive long periods without having to fill up and if it's just myself, the media equipment I drive would fit just fine in the trunk space provided.

#2: Part of the appeal of the Elio is that I see it as a great transitional car from the gasoline infrastructure we have now as we wait for an electric one. Want an electric car, to reduce pollution, but the area you live in doesn't have superchargers/access points? Or you do live in an area with some, but still need something you can travel all over with... but don't necessarily need the space?

The answer is simple in both cases. You get an Elio. Its carbon footprint is less than a regular car anyway and you don't have to worry about the infrastructure. This is why I think the Elio is fine as it is as of right now, because the only reason to make an all-electric one is when the gasoline infrastructure gets phased out of existence, which is still decades away in all probability. Until then, sell this car as a better alternative to traditional gasoline cars and a placeholder/transitional car for the car of the future.

#3: I mentioned up above I co-own a small business with my best friend. His family has always lived lower middle-class and he's never once owned a brand new car. It's always been used cars, going from 'halfway-decent' to downright junkers. I like and appreciate the Elio because it would allow someone like him to finally purchase a (hopefully) great new car... and not have to put money down constantly trying to fix things in it just because it's an old car that shouldn't be on the road. All the excuses he makes to not buy something that's a little more modern (the price, insurance, ETC) wouldn't be an issue with the Elio.

#4: I like that Paul wants to do a direct-sales business plan with the Elio and that he plans on going away with 'bundling' and instead making this car a rolling app. I like that I can buy a bare-bones Elio for $6,800 (or $7,400) if that's all the money I have, but I can come back in to any marshaling center or Pep Boys in a few months (or years) and pay for options that can be installed the same day with very little cost. This forward-thinking program is what sold me on the Elio, after the 84 MPG of course.

So to sum, I support and want to drive the Elio because I honestly think it's a visionary company with a visionary car. I think it has the capacity to push things the direction I want the world to go (such as a much greener economy), will provide jobs and is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" ideas... because why do we drive cars meant for 4 or more people when often times it's just one person? It just makes sense.

I like all the reasons (tho I'm not commuting nor have I been a biker in many years). But after two years in this journey, I'd add another reason: Prove the trolls wrong! :-)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I like all the reasons (tho I'm not commuting nor have I been a biker in many years). But after two years in this journey, I'd add another reason: Prove the trolls wrong! :-)
I like it!! :thumb:

But with that said; you might get a short time that you can enjoy it; they 'll just find something new to complain about; the trolls are people that can't be happy; and because they can't be, they don't want anyone else to be happy right along with them.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

So, to list...

#1: It plain makes more sense to have a tandem seat 3-wheeler to drive rather than a regular 4-wheel car. While the business I co-own with my best friend has us lugging a bunch of media equipment around, most of the times I drive by myself... and I work with a lot of people who live in OKC (I'm based in the Tulsa area), so I tend to log a lot of miles. Something like the Elio, even if it ends up not getting 84 MPG, would make much more economic sense for me. Can drive long periods without having to fill up and if it's just myself, the media equipment I drive would fit just fine in the trunk space provided.

Great listing of your reasons, good job. Loved hearing your perspective.

The gasoline infrastructure getting phased out of existence. Man, that's a hard one to wrap my brain around for sure. The Back to the Future movie trilogy predicted flying cars by 2015. While that didn't happen, I'm surprised at the lack of advancement in technology for our cars. Not that much really has changed in what, 40 years? But it's hard for me to imagine the gas infrastructure being phased out until oil becomes very scarce.

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did Paul ever seek contact with Polaris? A pretty substantial company that is producing the three-wheeled Slingshot, bought French Aixam, etc. There's considerable expertise present.

Top Bottom