• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hesitations About Using The Elio As My Only Car???

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am very excited about this car but I have several hesitations about using this car as my only mode of transportation. I am worried about several practicality issues:

1. I am concerned that it won't be practical to take passengers. Once in a blue moon is ok but you can't exactly pick up your date in it :cool:.

2. I am also concerned as to how it will handle snow. Although it has front wheel drive, I am concerned that it is too light to get any traction is bad weather.

Should I really be too concerned about this? My daily driver is a pickup truck now so I am used to having lots of room all the time but it is very costly to drive all the time. I am pretty set on ordering an Elio but before I put down a $ reservation, I thought I would pose these questions.

Are you are buying an Elio for your only car?
No.
Just drove from Boise, ID to Fairbanks, AK in a 2 wheel drive Toyota Tacoma loaded with 3 large dogs and a load of freight (6-800#) in the back. Gas cost $467.20 for 2,596 miles at about 22.75 MPG. The Elio would have a hard time matching these costs for the load BUT, for a one way or round trip with one dog and a bit of safty gear the Elio would (will/may) prove to be a very economical way of getting from point A to point B.
There are a lot of unknowns about the Elio so far. But, anything that interferes with the aero dynamics of the (what-ever) basic machine is going to cut down on the efficiency (MPG). The last generation Elio eliminated lighting, wheel and shell configeration drag - all good even tho some don't seem to really embrace the changes. Stuff, such as trailers racks and after market external "attachments" are going to cost fuel efficiency. So will driving habits!!
In summary, not going to sell my Toyota 2 and 4 wheel drive trucks or the Yaris, but the R80RT could go depending on Elio durability.
So, keep plugging away Elio Team!

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is what it is, folks. Dated many a time on a motorcycle (tandem seating and never had a problem in any area of "human relations" !) While it will not be my only mode of transportation, it will be a fun unit to drive and at 83 if the wife of 55years will not ride in the back seat, she can stay home---period!! (like John Wayne said, ""a man has to do what a man has to do ""!) RB

Reactions: JP

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive information and jokes guys. You helped quell my hesitation. I'm pretty indecisive, especially when it comes to cars but I'm pretty set on going all in for an Elio now!

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And, the clear benefit of driving this versus a motorcycle. It's not as awkward when a male friend goes somewhere with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And, the clear benefit of driving this versus a motorcycle. It's not as awkward when a male friend goes somewhere with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only weird when you make eye contact..... then it's really awkward :eek:

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan on getting snow tires for the Elio. Elio will be vehicle #4, but 2 of the 3 are/will be occasional drivers. Ideally Elio will be daily driver(not just commuter). Right now daily driver-Mini Paceman, I plan on keeping at least through 2 winters with the Elio. If Elio does well in the winter, I will entertain the idea of getting rid of Mini. Would love to see some videos of Elio in snow.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan on getting snow tires for the Elio. Elio will be vehicle #4, but 2 of the 3 are/will be occasional drivers. Ideally Elio will be daily driver(not just commuter). Right now daily driver-Mini Paceman, I plan on keeping at least through 2 winters with the Elio. If Elio does well in the winter, I will entertain the idea of getting rid of Mini. Would love to see some videos of Elio in snow.
Snow tires for the front and a ski for the back. I used to live in Bay City.

Top Bottom