• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Would Like Elio To Consider Including A "shaved Door Handle"

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My experience has been that you cannot shift to neutral when moving. I hope that the Elio AMT is not that way. I have a 7-mile downgrade that I frequent.
A carburetor will continue to suck fuel as you descend the hill. Fuel Injection will shut the fuel feed off and you save nothing with neutral. Use it and you will get idle fueling and lose.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While not a shaved door handle (its like getting both) I like the model S door handle.
yTkg5reGc.jpg
This is cool, However just like Blackbird say dead battery is not good.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think there is any impact either way on aerodynamics with a shaved door handle, the idea was brought up for cost savings, convenience and good looks.

About a dead battery...The P4 has it in the engine bay. With hood pins, the battery would be easy to access. Unless the pins are lockable somehow, too easy to access. Anyone know the plans for a securable engine lid?

The door could and should still have a key lock for security and as a secondary access into the cabin in the event of battery failure.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like it! Throw a 'small' aerodynamic advantage on your list too.
Only downside I see, is when the weather is like it has been the last couple of days. My doors were froze shut this morning (14F), and if it weren't for the handle to pull on, I'd have been taking my F250 diesel this morning...assuming it would start.
In Minot, ND, I bought a 100Watt "My Heat" 110V heater and just set it on the center console aimed at the steering wheel. I'd just run the cord out the door and to the house. Of course, I kept the block heater plugged in as well (and battery blankets). But, I never had to scrape ice off of windows even though that little heater put out about as much heat as a slow exhale would. I still use it here in Albuquerque... never have to scrape ice. $20. it's only 100Watts... Anyway, I DID have a couple times where my F350 wouldn't start but that's because someone had kicked the cord and I didn't catch it all weekend. Monday, no start. I did have a trailer door freeze closed on the day we were leaving base housing and I almost couldn't load the last of our stuff. I had to run heaters both inside and outside aimed at the door to thaw it enough to pry it open.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Minot, ND, I bought a 100Watt "My Heat" 110V heater and just set it on the center console aimed at the steering wheel. I'd just run the cord out the door and to the house. Of course, I kept the block heater plugged in as well (and battery blankets). But, I never had to scrape ice off of windows even though that little heater put out about as much heat as a slow exhale would. I still use it here in Albuquerque... never have to scrape ice. $20. it's only 100Watts... Anyway, I DID have a couple times where my F350 wouldn't start but that's because someone had kicked the cord and I didn't catch it all weekend. Monday, no start. I did have a trailer door freeze closed on the day we were leaving base housing and I almost couldn't load the last of our stuff. I had to run heaters both inside and outside aimed at the door to thaw it enough to pry it open.

Ty, I'm picking one up on the way home...that's brilliant! The 'high' tomorrow is 7F, minus who-knows-what with the windchill at 4:30am when I leave for work, and I never did stow the extention cord for the Christmas lights....procrastination pays off!

As for the block heater on the diesels. Work great when your leaving for work in the sub-zero stuff, but there's no place to plug it in once I get here (work). My ass was stranded in the parking lot for 3 hours a couple years back.:mad: Not going to play that game again.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
This is an interesting idea however It is hard to say if the shaved door handles would actually save any money as while on the surface this would appear to be a less complex lock assembly it would also be a custom door assembly plus a key fob which must be included vs the off the shelf all in one power window and lock assembly EM has chosen with the key fob possibly being an extra cost option.

Even if the cost would end up being the same I bet EM would still choose the more traditional off the shelf assembly for parts support reasons and also because of the extra money which can be made selling the remote key fobs as an option.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A shaved door handle could replace the standard door latch and electric door lock already planned, and save costs:

*Simpler mechanism, just a solenoid and some brackets.
*Readily available in marketplace from multiple sources
*Much easier to fabricate when considering the door recess for a conventional door handle
*Easier for everyone including the elderly and impaired to use
*Looks cool, could be one more novelty feature to promote sales
*Operated by a KeyFOB

What do you think?
Just something else to fail.

Top Bottom