• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Latest On Production Date: Q4 2016

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla was using off the shelf Body parts from Lotus........Lotus Gliders? WOW! A high quality body option along with using off the shelf EV motors and battery packs. Tesla Motors set the standard for the Direct to Consumer Sales Model along with the concept of using off the shelf Parts in it's initial startup manufacturing process.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla was using off the shelf Body parts from Lotus........Lotus Gliders? WOW! A high quality body option along with using off the shelf EV motors and battery packs. Tesla Motors set the standard for the Direct to Consumer Sales Model along with the concept of using off the shelf Parts in it's initial startup manufacturing process.

Wiki Extract of paragraph 10
............."Tesla Motors signed a production contract on July 11, 2005, with Group Lotus to produce "gliders" (complete cars minus powertrain).[51] The contract ran through March 2011, but the two automakers extended the deal to keep the electric Roadster in production through December 2011 with a minimum number of 2,400 units,[52] when production ended,[dated info] mostly because of tooling changes orchestrated by one of its suppliers.[53] In June 2010, it was reported that Tesla sold a total of US$12.2 million zero emission vehicle credits to other automakers, including Honda, up to March 31, 2010.[54]"..........

-----> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Motors <------

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
RickB and WH, man when you guys get into it we, well we learn a lot. Cool.
Yes we are quite the team. Go WH!
It's too bad EM will not qualify for those dreaded Cafe Credits created to help reduce those even more dreaded emissions.

I only wish Tesla would sign a contract with EM to produce some Elio gliders for three wheeler EV fans. I don't see a problem with subcontracting various parts of a vehicle to include bodies and enginee/drivetrains. That process could be highly efficient.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody see any actual value or benefit from the government's role in developing new technology.........I do. It creates future jobs and helps to guarantee a growing future economy. Heck it may help to insure future Elio jobs.
I agree! Which is why I whole-heartedly support [WARNING! POSSIBLE THREAD DRIFT AHEAD!] the US Govt. providing the insurance for future World Championship Punkin Chunkin events (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ware-punkin-chunkin-cancelled-again/73577234/) Since corporate insurers aren't willing to step up and step in to provide the insurance needed to host this event, I feel it's vital for the US Govt. to step in as a way of supporting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) in this country. (Get it? Pumpkin STEMs? ;) ) This stuff is being designed, developed, and built in back yards and garages around the country. Think of all the math and engineering the friends and families of the local Punkinheads are being exposed to!

And the way things are going in Washington, the parties there just might welcome advances in siege-engine technology.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's too bad EM will not qualify for those dreaded Cafe Credits created to help reduce those even more dreaded emissions.

I only wish Tesla would sign a contract with EM to produce some Elio gliders for three wheeler EV fans. I don't see a problem with subcontracting various parts of a vehicle to include bodies and enginee/drivetrains. That process could be highly efficient.

That could be an interesting and profitable collaboration.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This is not a rebuttal or an argument. I'm not sure why you would call them "dreaded CAFE credits"
So anyway, I looked up CAFE credits and found that they are very clearly defined in an NHTSA document.

--------> http://lobby.la.psu.edu/_107th/126_..._Activities/NHTSA/NHTSA_Cafe_Overview_FAQ.htm <-----

But here's the part I found interesting (as usual, I'll extract and quote it)
.............."
  • What are CAFE credits?
    Manufacturers can earn CAFE “credits” to offset deficiencies in their CAFE performances. Specifically, when the average fuel economy of either the passenger car or light truck fleet for a particular model year exceeds the established standard, the manufacturer earns credits. The amount of credit a manufacturer earns is determined by multiplying the tenths of a mile per gallon that the manufacturer exceeded the CAFE standard in that model year by the amount of vehicles they manufactured in that model year. These credits can be applied to any three consecutive model years immediately prior to or subsequent to the model year in which the credits are earned. The credits earned and applied to the model years prior to the model year for which the credits are earned are termed “carry back” credits, while those applied to model years subsequent to the model year in which the credits are earned are known as “carry forward” credits. Failure to exercise carry forward credits within the three years immediately following the year in which they are earned will result in the forfeiture of those credits. Credits cannot be passed between manufacturers or between fleets, e.g., from domestic passenger cars to light trucks.
"............
So how is Tesla able to sell CAFE credits?
Am I missing something?

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla ... did not rely soley on the ATVM loan to manufacture a product, which I understand is an ATVM Loan approval requirement.
Just to be clear, I do not believe that this interpretation of the requirement is correct.

ATVM Requirements said:
Per this wording, you can rely on the ATVM loan to be financially viable. You just can't rely on federal funding above and beyond the ATVM loan to be viable.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree! Which is why I whole-heartedly support [WARNING! POSSIBLE THREAD DRIFT AHEAD!] the US Govt. providing the insurance for future World Championship Punkin Chunkin events (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ware-punkin-chunkin-cancelled-again/73577234/) Since corporate insurers aren't willing to step up and step in to provide the insurance needed to host this event, I feel it's vital for the US Govt. to step in as a way of supporting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) in this country. (Get it? Pumpkin STEMs? ;) ) This stuff is being designed, developed, and built in back yards and garages around the country. Think of all the math and engineering the friends and families of the local Punkinheads are being exposed to!

And the way things are going in Washington, the parties there just might welcome advances in siege-engine technology.
REALLY??,

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
REALLY??,
Sure! Can't you imagine the Tea Party destroying the Capitol Building by launching volumes of the US Tax Code at it? Or taking down the White House using bound volumes of the Obamacare legislation (which was larger than "War and Peace")?

Top Bottom